Director of Development & Communications
Children of Promise, NYC (CPNYC) is a non-profit organization that provides a year-round, unique, integrated academic and enrichment after-school and summer program service model that meets the distinctive needs of children with incarcerated parent(s). CPNYC’s mission is to embrace and empower the children of incarcerated parents to break the cycle of intergenerational involvement in the criminal justice system through guidance, support and access to the necessary resources to effectively develop leadership skills, form positive social relationships and enhance academic performance.
Director of Development & Communications Summary:
CPNYC is in a period of tremendous growth and potential and is seeking a Director of Development and Communications that can increase public awareness and funding streams. The Director of Development & Communications is a hands-on senior leader whose primary focus is overseeing a budget of $2 million of an organizational budget of and increasing unrestricted revenue for CPNYC to advance the strategic priorities of the organization and ensure long-term growth and sustainability. The Director will design and carry out a robust development plan that includes revenue from a diverse mix of individual, corporate, foundations Responsibilities include managing all donor relations, foundation submissions, corporate partnerships, donation systems and processes, special events, volunteer engagement and external affairs (including marketing, public relations, branding) The Director of Development and Communications is a member of the senior management team and works collaboratively with CPNYC’s Founder to set the strategic direction for the organization’s development and communication activities. The Development Operations Manager and Development and Communications Associate report to the Director of Development and Communications.
Director of Development & Communications Duties and Responsibilities:
Corporate Fundraising and Institutional Giving
- Play an instrumental role building an institutional giving and corporate program.
- Research foundation and corporate funding opportunities and recommend prospects with the greatest potential and propose cultivation strategies including developing relationships with individuals and program officers.
- Write grant proposals not assigned to the grant writer consultant and take the lead to prepare materials for submission.
- Manage corporate partnerships, including creating and leading meaningful volunteer opportunities, to ensure continued and increased financial support over time.
- Cultivate relationships with corporate executives and solicit sponsorship in support of special events and community events
Individual Giving and Special Events
- Enhance donor development strategy to build CPNYC’s donor base at all giving levels through special appeals, monthly giving, cultivation events and major gifts.
- Partner with President/Founder to build a major donor giving program
- Oversee peer-to-peer fundraising initiatives and work with the team to build an audience through all social media platforms.
- Produce consistent communication to donors and create opportunities to engage donors in programs and volunteering.
- Lead the production and execution of Annual Spring Benefit (e.g., recruiting potential corporate sponsors, engaging the Host Committee and other stakeholders around fundraising, etc.).
- Steward external relationships through the management of the CPNYC website, social media platforms, direct marketing, all printed collateral, donor correspondence, and newsletters.
- Work directly with the Executive Board, and oversee stewardship of two committees: Women’s Philanthropy Group & Young Professionals Council
- Serve as an ambassador for CPNYC at external events, including presenting on the organization and making direct asks.
- Develop and implement strategies to bolster CPNYC’s citywide presence and community engagement practices.
Development Systems and Reporting
- Monitor and report regularly to the President and the Board on the progress of the development program.
Supervise the Development Operations Manager and Development and Communications Associate who will maintain records and reporting in Salesforce database, generate thank you letters to donors and funders, conduct research, and provide administrative support.
- Update office systems to support all development projects and operations.
- Oversee donor data management and ensure that Salesforce is being used effectively.
- Manage and motivate a high-performing team to exceed goals.