Manager, Prospect Research
POSITION TITLE: Prospect Research Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Stewardship
LOCATION: New York, NY (CSC)
Grade/Class: Grade E, Exempt, PSA-Eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League) is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism, delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015. He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency. Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and pioneering new horizons.
The Growth Division at ADL includes the Development, Development Operations, Training and End-User Support, Reporting & Data Analysis, and Regional Operations teams. As a member of this key team at ADL, the Prospect Research Manager provides in-depth research that drives cultivation and solicitation strategies, proactively identifies, qualifies and tracks major gift prospects, develops donor and prospect profiles and briefing documents, and works with Development team to determine appropriate solicitation strategies. Reporting to the Director of Stewardship, this role will identify and rank donors and new prospects using a broad range of internal and external data sources and collaborate with regional and national frontline fundraisers to provide the relevant information needed to grow ADL’s portfolio of major donors. They will compile, analyze, and verify biographical and financial information, and develop comprehensive, detailed profiles and research reports and briefings on potential donor prospects. Creating comprehensive systems to store and track the information in the CRM database is crucial to the success of this work.
- Initiate and prioritize donor research activity, including setting a roadmap for the identification of new prospects and further research into current donors.
- Work closely with the professional fundraising team to identify individual, corporate and foundations prospects that match our programs and activities.
- Analyze and make decisions about giving capacity, formulate and implement a rating system for individual donors and prospects.
- Create concise, accurate, and timely research products using an array of data (biographical information, financial data, news and philanthropic history).
- Develop a broad knowledge of ADL donors and their interests, ensure upkeep of donor research and information in the constituent database, Salesforce.
- Analyze research requests to determine appropriate level of detail required and resources needed to fulfill requests. Provide timely donor and prospect identification and detailed research and analysis of prospects specific to fundraising objectives (donor visits, events, solicitations etc.)
- Partner with the Associate Director, Data & Analysis to define and implement proactive prospecting methodologies, including data mining and sophisticated constituent database queries. Develop strategic direction on the use of analytical data in the identification of donors and prospects.
- Design and implement a system to track and disseminate news and information about top donors and prospects. Analyze large volumes of information from on-line and print news resources, financial and philanthropic reports, reference materials (both printed and electronic) and organizational files. Update donor files accordingly and update assigned fundraiser of changes.
- Maintain an expectation of excellence in both written and verbal communications, as well as a dedication to superior customer service with an emphasis on relationship building.
- Serve as a resource on donor and prospect research, research tools and methods that can be used by development professionals and others.
- Manage ADL subscriptions for research tools including Wealth Engine, Rel Sci, Donor Search, etc. Provide formal and informal training on research methods, tools, technologies, information sources, and features of ADL’s donor database that support such information gathering.
- Periodically review with fundraising leadership and frontline fundraisers research needs and adapt research efforts accordingly.
- Stay abreast of fundraising trends and issues, maintaining knowledge of available training and educational opportunities to develop necessary skills. Identify and evaluate new paid and free research resources and make recommendations as to their usefulness to ADL’s development research needs.
- Adhere to all professional and ADL standards to ensure that an individual’s fundamental right to privacy and the agency’s right to keep its information confidential are protected. Work with Development team, and, as necessary, ADL senior leadership to develop appropriate policies and procedure to protect same.
- Strong project management, organizational and administrative skills essential.
- Knowledge of techniques and methodologies of donor and prospect research using both online and traditional print sources required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a solutions-focused mindset, and the ability to determine course of action required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills related to complex donor research.
- Ability to think strategically, analytically and creatively. This is an ideal position for a self-motivated, curious, and focused individual.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Proficiency in use of online research tools such as Wealth Engine, Donor Search, Rel Sci, Foundation Directory Online, etc. along with numerous other online and print tools and publications
- Knowledge of data mining tools.
- Proficiency as well with word processing, spreadsheet, and database management software (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Proficient in Salesforce or similar CRM systems.
- A problem-solving focus, an astute attention to detail, and the ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information (required).
- Ability to work efficiently in a virtual environment with off-site colleagues (required).
- 3-5 years of experience in donor and prospect research in a not-for-profit fundraising environment required.
- Experience preparing polished donor research packages, presentations, and other materials preferred.
- Previous work in a national organization with multiple satellite offices a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.