Manager, Capital Campaign and Major Gifts
TITLE: Manager, Capital Campaign and Major Gifts
REPORTS TO: Director of Impact Giving
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League) is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism, delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015. He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency. Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and pioneering new horizons.
Focused on managing ADL’s Capital Campaign, ADL / For Good, and the major/principal gifts program this role is an essential part of the $100 million Campaign and our principal/major gifts program. This role focuses on developing proposals, financial tracking of donations, acknowledgment process, pipeline management, stewardship, cultivation, Campaign Committee management and assisting in gift solicitation. The ideal candidate will be committed to advancing the goals and mission of ADL and will have prior Capital Campaign experience. Emphasis will be placed on all aspects of Capital Campaign management and soliciting major/principal gifts in collaboration with ADL national and regional offices.
The successful candidate enjoys being part of a collaborative and energetic team and thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. The position reports to ADL’s Director of Impact Giving and is a part of ADL’s National Growth team and works collaboratively with regional colleagues.Responsibilities
- Develop Capital Campaign and principal/major gifts proposals by targeting donors and pipeline, potential for giving and programmatic interests.
- Manage campaign revenue and budget and develop campaign tracking systems and reports. Including documentation to systems reporting.
- Execute moves management for all donors and prospects in portfolio and Capital Campaign.
- Design and execute customized cultivation and solicitation strategies for Capital Campaign and major/principal gift donors, matching the objectives of the organization and donor/prospect interests. Ensure necessary follow-up and stewardship.
- Develop and execute a campaign calendar to ensure the achievement of key milestones.
- Assure that Campaign Communications such as financial updates, acknowledgments, follow-up letters, and newsletters as well as cultivation event activity, including Campaign Committee meetings, plans are met.
- Identify and cultivate major/principal gift and planned giving donors including participating in strategic planning with senior national and regional staff and philanthropic partners.
- Conduct face-to-face solicitations and secure new gifts from individuals capable of making major/principal level contributions.
- Ensure donor and prospect strategies and communications are updated in ADL’s Salesforce database, in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Initiate and conduct donor research. Create concise and accurate briefings and research profiles using an array of data (i.e. Salesforce, biographical information, philanthropic history, etc.).
- Meet quarterly benchmarks and goals based on activity with Capital Campaign, prospects/donors and annual fundraising goals
- Assist the Development team on special assignments/projects to ensure long-term donor engagement and retention and support the successful completion of various fundraising and issue-based campaigns.
- Maintain an active, current body of knowledge of ADL and its mission, programs, activities, and fundraising priorities.
- Stay abreast of current events and philanthropic trends.
- Uphold excellence in both written and verbal communications.
- Dedication to superior customer service with an emphasis on relationship building.
- Any other duties deemed important for this position.
- Positive attitude and desire to learn and grow as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills required with an emphasis on writing.
- Proven ability to manage a complex revenue/budget essential, including tracking and reporting progress to organizational and Campaign leadership.
- Project management leadership is essential.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, with a demonstrated track record of establishing effective systems that foster collaboration and improve efficiency required.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability and direct communication.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage with highly sensitive, confidential information using excellent judgment at all times essential.
- Demonstrated analytical skills related to complex donor research and information.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook), donor research platforms (i.e. Wealth Engine, Lexus Nexus) and database management software (Salesforce) required.
- 5 to 7 years of fundraising and development experience required.
- Demonstrated success in a capital campaign environment, donor stewardship and assisting in closing major/principal gifts required.
- Applied experience managing all financial aspects of Capital Campaign including revenue, budgets, reporting tools, and best practices for tracking campaign and major/principal gifts moves management necessary.
- Project management experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to write proposals and all donor communications essential.
- Previous use of Salesforce CRM preferred.
- Strong familiarity with philanthropic communities in major markets (NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, Dallas) is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working in a national organization with an affiliate or chapter structure a plus.
- BA degree or equivalent work experience.
- Additional hours are required to attend meetings, fundraising and programmatic events.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.