Senior Director of Special Events
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Development, the Senior Director of Special Events will be responsible for all contributed income through the successful execution of 92Y’s cornerstone fundraising events. As a strong fundraising professional, this role will also support development initiatives throughout 92Y through the planning and coordination of various cultivation events, donor receptions and gatherings in an effort to leverage and maximize contributed revenue through various sources. The incumbent will be a member of the Senior Development Team with oversight of the Special Events department and will work closely with 92Y’s Board in the implementation of fundraising events.
- Develop and oversee 92Y’s special event strategy and event calendar, ensuring alignment with organizational contributed revenue goals and timelines.
- Responsible for the successful oversight and execution of large scale, high profile events to successfully reach and exceed set financial goals for contributed revenue.
- Oversee and execute all aspects of fundraising and event
management tasks including:
- coordination and cultivation of benefit committees
- oversight and management of event budgets
- oversight over invitee list generation and attendance solicitation
- management of vendor relationships, including negotiating with venues, consultants, and service providers to secure rates that enhance budgets
- management of underwriting/in-kind and sponsorship solicitations
- oversight over events logistics pertaining to invites, event briefings, catering, seating, printed materials etc.
- coordination of internal 92Y staff, volunteers and any outside consultants/specialists, as necessary
- Supervise, motivate and performance manage the Director of Special Events and Board Fundraising. Assume dual report supervision of the Associate Director of Donor Relations, and a Development Associate.
- Serve as primary liaison with 92Y Board members in relation to Board fundraising and event engagement.
- Identify, cultivate and manage a portfolio of donors from current and previously held events in order to ensure a continuing relationship that maximizes the potential of ongoing future gifts and donations.
- Manage financial operations for the appropriate gift processing, invoicing, vendor payments and other budget-related revenue and expense tracking for the Special Events department.
- Ability to implement best practices associated with special events, including leveraging event-focused technology, to ensure fundraising goals are achieved, regardless of whether an event is executed in person, virtually, on-site or at a third party location.
- Oversee post-event coordination including but not limited to debrief meetings, recognition to key constituents and financial reporting.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Education, skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in a fundraising and special events senior leadership position.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in event planning and raising funds from individual and corporate donors, preferably in a large institutional environment.
- Extremely high attention to detail & strong organizational skills.
- A strong background in fundraising, with the proven ability to utilize events as the vehicle for achieving contributed revenue goals.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully managing staff, volunteers and high-profile event leadership committees.
- Strong experience and confidence in working and communicating with Board members, donors and high-net-worth individuals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work across internal departments to achieve organizational goals, using diplomacy and effective project management skills to achieve departmental goals.
- Ability to be a strong ambassador and advocate for the organization when representing the institution to Board members, donors, outside vendors, agencies and partners.
- Strong proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint is required, with knowledge of Tessitura database preferred.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with your application.