Development Operations Manager
TITLE: Development Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Development
POSITION TYPE/HOURS: Full time/40 hours
DATE: January 2021
Trout Unlimited’s Development team is responsible for successful cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of major, planned and complex gifts and private grants from individuals, foundations, and corporations in support of TU’s organizational priorities. The development operations manager is accountable for managing and supporting all operational aspects for the Development department, including prospect research and qualification, portfolio and moves management tracking, and quality data standards and reporting on performance of the department. Responsibilities will include ensuring effective and efficient processes and systems are in place and serving as lead liaison for the department for finance and technology and information systems teams and joint initiatives. The individual in this position will be a self-starter, with excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail in large and small projects, possess the ability to problem-solve and multitask, and provide proactive and enthusiastic support for the Development team. The position will supervise the Development Assistant and is based in Arlington, Virginia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
- Manage and support all operational aspects of the major gifts, gift planning, foundations programs.
- Develop, implement, and monitor operational protocols for all major gifts, planned gifts, and foundation fundraising efforts.
- Organize and lead prospect review meetings with fundraisers to assure timely cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, follow-up, data entry, and tracking of new and current prospects
- Collaborate with Membership Marketing on campaigns to ensure individual prospects and donors are properly suppressed or integrated into mass fundraising and outreach initiatives.
- Coordinate with Membership Marketing on processes that feed mid-level donor prospects to development.
- Coordinate relationship management in netFORUM, train fundraisers to record and track donor relationships, strategies, projections, and activities
- Conduct and oversee research on prioritized prospects and donors, including data mining of major gift portfolios, and produce donor briefings, as needed.
- Work with the VP to establish, manage, and track annual fundraising goals, budgets, and expenses
- Track and report on annual metrics for the Development team, and other metrics set by the Vice President of Development
- Interface with IT staff to resolve CRM issues and/or suggest system enhancements
- Interface with accounting staff to ensure data consistency between finance system and CRM
- Responds to ad-hoc requests for information from CEO, VPs, and other development staff
- Supervise Development Assistant
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of fundraising operational work experience in a professional setting
- Supervisory experience required
- Excellent communication skills via phone, email, and letters required, including with donors
- Ability to organize and manage diverse activities, set priorities, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Proven track record of establishing fundraising processes and practices
- Experience with estate administration and planned-giving preferred
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Research Point and FoundationSearch preferred
- Experience with CRM databases required (i.e., Community Brands products, Blackbaud products, Salesforce, etc.)
- Project management skills and experience preferred
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and personable
- Extremely detail oriented
- Strong time management skills and practices
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 applications, including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Passion for Trout Unlimited's mission is essential