Senior Director of Institutional Advancement
The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
Summary Description: The Senior Director of Institutional Advancement is responsible for developing and implementing strategy for and managing all aspects of AAUW’s philanthropic and dues revenue generating programs. The Senior Director engages with staff throughout AAUW in donor and prospect relations, has oversight of development and achievement of revenue and expense targets, cultivates relationships with new and existing philanthropic supporters, and manages all aspects of member acquisition and retention programs. The Senior Director will design and oversee a robust advancement strategy, in keeping with the organization’s strategic plan, including comprehensive strategies to ensure liquidity, adaptability and sustainability towards focused goals and impact.
- Construct and lead deliberate and broadly inclusive development planning processes that generate multi-year and annual advancement plans customized to measurably advance organizational goals.
- Collaborate with senior leadership team to formulate innovative philanthropic models that transcend financial contributions, including the possibility of research, programmatic, advocacy, advisory and member-related partnerships.
- Set annual actual and stretch financial targets for a comprehensive advancement program that includes dues revenues, individual major and planned giving, foundation and government grants, corporate investments and new donor acquisition.
Philanthropic Revenue Generation
- Provide oversight of individual giving, affiliate giving and foundation and corporate relationships programs.
- Provide oversight for the design and execution of relationship management systems, including donor assignments and moves management processes, to build relationships with key prospects and donors and ensure sustainable organizational growth.
- Oversee a prospect research program that anticipates funding sources and trends and positions AAUW ahead of major developments in the philanthropic landscape.
- In collaboration with the Communications & External Relations team, lead the development of a multi-faceted case for support and a broad range of donor-facing materials that accurately and compellingly capture AAUW’s strategic priorities.
- Design and present multi-faceted proposals and funding agreements that maximize opportunities for allied individuals and organizations to support AAUW.
- Manage a comprehensive stewardship program—incorporating communications, events, leadership circles and other tactics—to retain donors and move donors up the giving ladder.
- Oversee external vendors that help manage AAUW’s direct mail and digital programs.
- Manage a portfolio of high-level donors and prospects, acting as a compelling ambassador for AAUW in all interactions with external donors and partners and ensuring achievement of actual and stretch goals.
- Effectively leverage the CEO, Board of Directors, and other key leaders and volunteers in the identification and engagement of major individual, corporate and foundation donors.
- Deliver regular advancement and partnership development reports to the CEO and the Board of Directors, including informing on trends on the horizon, prospective disruptions to the philanthropic landscape, etc.
- Strategize, plan and implement a variety of activities and services that energize, retain and increase AAUW’s membership at the national level and with AAUW’s 800+ affiliates nationwide.
- Develop a tailored case for support and compelling multi-media collateral to promote AAUW’s visibility among diverse communities of potential members.
- Manage a comprehensive package of benefits that enhance the value of AAUW membership and support member retention.
- Manage a comprehensive affiliate relations program, incentivizing the alignment of affiliate work with AAUW’s mission and maximizing affiliate dues and giving.
- Ensure that AAUW’s member and affiliate relations activities follow the principles of effective donor cultivation and serve as a first level of advancement outreach.
- Develop and execute a plan that effectively engages AAUW’s CEO, Board of Trustees, and advancement staff in fundraising outreach to high-profile members, ensuring the adoption of best practices and the assessment and appropriate application of individual skills and strengths.
Management & Budgeting
- Manage and coach a staff of 9, assessing individual and team strengths, identifying skills gaps, and refining professional development and work plans to strengthen AAUW’s internal capacity.
- Provide fundraising support to senior leaders and staff members, ensuring they are confident and comfortable in interactions with donors and are prepared for prospect and donor visits.
- Work with the CEO and other senior staff to oversee the development and implementation of organization-wide revenue budgets, ensuring adequate revenue streams are available for new and evolving budget priorities.
- Generate and monitor the budget for the Advancement team, aligning financial resources with critical goals and objectives.
- Set a high standard for the efficient and responsible use of resources consistent with respect for AAUW’s donors, funding recipients, and mission.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience, including at least 5 years in senior fundraising roles in a national nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated success managing a fundraising or other revenue-generating programs, resulting in measurable revenue growth.
- Supervisory experience and a record of fostering an inclusive environment between staff.
- Systematic and highly tailored approach to engaging prospects and donors.
- Demonstrated budget and project management skills in running complex, multifaceted projects and grants.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate and establish effective cross-functional relationships organizationally.
- Experience developing a high-performance, collaborative and results-driven team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to inclusion and equity.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals, and objectives.
Compensation & Location
The salary range for this position is $140,000 – $160,000 contingent on relevant experience. During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating the position title (Senior Director of Institutional Advancement) to firstname.lastname@example.org.