Senior Development Associate
Reports to: Director of Development
Location: Bozeman, MT preferred; other regional offices considered
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
Last Update: January 2021
Greater Yellowstone Coalition (GYC), named one of Outside Magazine’s Top 100 places to work two years in a row, seeks a development professional to coordinate the organization’s individual giving program, help meet its annual individual giving goal (currently $1.6 million), help plan and execute GYC’s next comprehensive campaign, and advance its mission of protecting the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE). The GYE is a remarkable natural landscape: home to a complete array of native wildlife, headwaters of the west, and important place in the history of conservation, and of deep importance to Native American tribes who have made this place home since time immemorial.
The Senior Development Associate works closely with the fundraising team and other colleagues to retain supporters, acquire new donors, and upgrade existing ones to higher levels of charitable giving. Primary functions of this position are the solicitation, stewardship, and cultivation of local, regional, and national donors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build donor relationships with specific attention to increasing the number of donors giving annually at the $1,000+ level.
- Monitor donor retention rates and oversee systematic requests that encourage donors to renew and increase their giving.
- Implement a comprehensive stewardship plan to communicate donor impacts, build relationships, and further engagement.
- Provide/write custom reports and proposals to select major donors.
- Plan and execute donor cultivation and stewardship events and trips. Provide support for other events as needed.
- Help recruit and steward the GYC National Council.
- Work with GYC leadership to help develop GYC’s next comprehensive campaign. This will include feasibility, campaign strategy, goal setting, campaign communications, committees, prospect identification, campaign events, cultivation, and solicitation.
- Stay on top of trends and best practices for all facets of giving and engagement.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred, experience can substitute for degree.
- Minimum three to five years direct fundraising experience, including work with individual major donors.
- Familiarity with planning and executing a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
- Self-motivated and creative with a proven track record of meeting fundraising goals, working well in a team, handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and meeting deadlines.
- Strong written communication skills and interpersonal skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive appeals and ability to interact professionally with donors one-on-one, on the phone, and in group settings.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- High degree of integrity handling sensitive and confidential information. Ensures ethical compliance with fundraising best practices, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and knowledge of and familiarity with fundraising information sources, including research and donor databases. Experience with DonorPerfect preferred.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends.
- Experience with and a passion for environmental conservation preferred.
- Annual salary starts at $50,000 and is negotiable.
- Employer paid health premiums for employee and contributions for dependents, spouses, and domestic partners.
- Employee can elect to have additional premiums for vision, dental, life, and long-term disability.
- Generous time-off: vacation, sick, personal, paid holidays, sabbatical, and tuition reimbursement.
- Employer contribution to profit sharing retirement plan.
Physical Working Conditions
GYC is committed to honoring and improving accommodations within our existing infrastructure.
- Business office environment with moderate noise.
- Will sit at desk and move between offices. Accommodations can be made.
- Work on a computer, use a telephone, and other general equipment.
- Lift and carry up to 25 lb. Accommodations honored, and the use of assistive devices (dolly cart, etc.) and assistance from other staff are strongly encouraged.
- The position will require approximately 10% travel, mostly by car.
- GYC is currently operating with the following COVID precautions in place: remote work, limited travel and meetings, social distancing, masks and reduced capacity in our Bozeman headquarters building.