Director of Development & Communications (Museum Industry)
2 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
General Purpose of Position:
Working under the Executive Director and in collaboration with other staff, this position is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to attract and retain new donors and members, and increase giving levels among current supporters of the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History (MAH). A member of the senior management team, this position oversees all fundraising, communications, marketing, public relations, and membership programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This position provides leadership and management for the creation and implementation of short and long-term development plans to support the MAH’s institutional mission-driven initiatives. This position will identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government sources to support the MAH’s mission, and achieve the museum’s strategic goals. This position will oversee implementation of an overarching development and marketing plan, including establishment and management of consistent brand identity and communications across all media platforms.
Essential Job Functions:
Fundraising and Development:
• Develop long-term fundraising strategy in collaboration with the Executive Director; implement and document effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies that aim to increase the number of donors and gift size as well as maximize retention.
• Build and manage a portfolio of mid-level individual and corporate supporters and prospective donors.
• Identify a menu of sponsorship opportunities and oversee the development of high-impact marketing materials to support development activities.
• Work closely with the Executive Director and Board in completing the MAH’s major fundraising campaign(s) to achieve the established targets and timelines.
•Manage annual fundraising events as lead organizer to achieve fundraising goals and enhance donor experience.
• Conceive, implement, and attend donor cultivation and appreciation events tied to the MAH’s mission, exhibitions, and programs.
• Oversee the management and use of the database to facilitate accurate donor records, regular reporting and analysis, and effective and efficient communications through segmentation and customization.
• Produce regular fundraising reports that inform the Executive Director, senior staff, and the Board about fundraising progress. Highlight areas of success and proactively identify areas for improvement and/or concern.
• Directly supervise and oversee day-to-day operations of development and membership, such as gift processing, donor acknowledgement, and member database management.
• Direct the MAH’s general membership program to reach target audience and revenue goals on an annual basis.
• Directly supervise the related membership programming and communication as part of the member journey.
• Manage, develop and execute a plan to increase membership sales, renewal rates, and member level upgrades.
• Work closely with the staff to develop and distribute compelling materials, events, communication, and protocols to support solicitation, renewals, and upgrades.
Marketing and Communications:
• Lead staff team in formulating critical messages and consistent communications across departments, programs, and on multiple platforms
• Articulate to all staff appropriate techniques and content to communicate MAH fundraising priorities to general public.
• Directly supervise and develop the MAH’s communications, marketing, and promotional plans to increase interest and support.
• Provide strategic direction and oversight to in the creation, distribution, scheduling, and tracking of all marketing and public relations activities.
• Train, manage, and evaluate all development and communications staff per the organizational chart. Mentor these individuals in their growth and leadership, and cultivate collaboration and teamwork.
• Supervise project management throughout department including develop and manage the department budget, and lead department meetings.
• Participate as a member of the senior management team. Work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Operations & Facilities, Director of Finance & Administration, and Director of Exhibitions & Programs to address high-level organizational issues and opportunities. Attend board meetings and take on occasional cross-functional projects to advance the MAH’s mission.
• Ensure compliance with all human resource and workplace standards for department employees.
• Be able to work within a fast-moving environment and to deliver within restricted time, space, and financial resources.
• Be able to utilize various electronic communication means to accomplish the duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Be able to work with a diverse range of people.
• Support the mission of the MAH in accordance with the strategic plan, Board direction, and adherence to the policies in the employee handbook.
• Attend board and committee meetings as necessary.
• Be physically present at the MAH a minimum of 50% of the work week.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field and 10+ years of professional experience; master’s degree preferred.
• Substantial knowledge, comfort, and experience with many types of fundraising, including annual giving/donor engagement programs, major gift campaigns, membership programs, corporate sponsorship, events, direct mail appeals, and crowdfunding.
• Proven experience with many types of marketing and communication strategies and tools, including digital, advocacy, and social tools.
• Knowledge of the current fundraising market in Santa Cruz County, Bay Area, and throughout California.
• Effective leadership skills and management experience.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references by e-mail to email@example.com. Please put “Director of Development & Communications Search” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered will be contacted.
The MAH is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) and all other marginalized identities to apply. The MAH is for everyone and dedicated to actively practicing anti-racism in our organization.
About the Organization:
About the MAH:
Serving 130,000 people per year, the MAH is a thriving community gathering place for Santa Cruz County on California’s central coast. Its robust slate of offerings includes commissioned, co-created, and presented work; a rotating exhibition series; biennial public festivals; education and outreach programs; and cultural celebrations and activities in collaboration with its many partners. In addition, the MAH maintains a permanent collection of art and artifacts of regional significance; manages a historical archive and multiple historic sites; and operates a vibrant public plaza on the museum’s doorstep that features food, social events, and year-round creative happenings. More at www.santacruzmah.org
Apply for Director of Development & Communications (Museum Industry)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly