3 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Mental Health Association of Maryland (MHAMD) is one of the oldest nonprofit advocacy groups in the nation. Founded more than century ago, MHAMD works to build a just and humane mental health system in Maryland, where all people are accorded respect, dignity, and the opportunity to achieve their full potential. MHAMD fulfills this mission through advocacy, training, services oversight, and a range of outreach and education programs. In 2016, MHAMD launched a subsidiary organization, BrainFutures, as a national nonprofit dedicated to assessing and advancing the practical application of neuroscience research to maximize human potential.
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer of BrainFutures and collaborating with teams across MHAMD, the Development Manager will manage the day-to-day operations of the resource development program including annual fund appeals and donor acknowledgements; grants research, writing, and stewardship; online giving campaigns; and prospect development. We expect that the person hired will focus their work on MHAMD approximately 70% of the time, and BrainFutures 30% of the time.
Duties and Responsibilities
MHAMD seeks a motivated, collaborative individual to manage all aspects of its development efforts. The ideal candidate brings a passion for advancing the mission of MHAMD and BrainFutures and will possess a blend of operational and relationship management skills to promote new levels of engagement for current and prospective individual, foundation, and corporate donors. Specific responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO), CEO and communications colleagues to create and implement an annual fundraising plan to expand and diversify the donor base and increase gift levels and revenue.
- Manage efforts related to annual fund cycle, including direct mail and e-solicitation campaigns, partnering with communications colleagues on key messages; work with CPO to develop and implement planned giving marketing efforts.
- Work with the CPO to review and refine policies that support strong donor relations and stewardship, including gift receipt, acknowledgment, and tracking procedures.
- Use research tools to conduct prospect research to identify and qualify new individual and foundation prospects.
- Partner with IT colleagues on maintaining Salesforce donor records and generating donor reports.
- Assist in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual donors and prospects for annual and special projects support; partner with communications team to maintain stewardship calendar to ensure ongoing communication with key donors and stakeholders.
- Assist in the management of foundation and corporate grants, including prospect identification, cultivation, proposal writing, and grants management.
- Partner with program colleagues across MHAMD to support government grants management, including support for identifying new opportunities.
The successful Development Manager will combine strong operational and frontline fundraising skills. They will be both a strategic thinker and doer, an enthusiastic and collaborative fundraiser, and a keen designer and user of well-crafted systems. They will also have an interest in and ability to build strong relationships with supporters of all levels, engaging donors in the work and impact of MHAMD. Specific qualifications and attributes sought include:
- A true development generalist with 3-5 years fundraising experience; candidates with direct experience in grantwriting, managing annual fund campaigns, including via social media channels, or major gifts preferred.
- Experience with donor database systems and good data management practices; experience using Salesforce preferred.
- Fluency with all Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to adapt messages for different audiences and formats, write compelling direct mail messages, and synthesize and edit grant proposals by multiple authors.
- Ability to direct and manage multiple projects simultaneously and collaboratively.
- Exceptional organizational skills and flexibility in equal measure; the ability to manage competing demands and evaluate and alter plans as necessary.
- Superior organization skills and attention to detail.
- Clear sense of initiative, self-direction, and drive to succeed.
- Commitment to the mission of MHAMD.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Full-time, non-exempt. Benefits include vacation, sick, personal, and holidays, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance, and health savings account.
This is a full-time position; Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required. Reliable transportation and the ability to lift 25 lbs. is required.
This position is expected to be based in the State of Maryland
Ability to travel throughout the State of Maryland and attend out of state conferences as needed
Flexible Work Arrangement
Position is FWA eligible and is currently remote through April 2021. Candidates should be prepared to return to work in the office location as necessary for this position when the office reopens.
Apply for Development Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly