Director of Development
The Angeletti Group invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Development at LIM Fashion Education Foundation (LIM FEF), a nonprofit organization which provides scholarship support to students of LIM College. LIM FEF seeks a dynamic leader to oversee its development program and increase philanthropic support to generate a meaningful revenue stream for LIM FEF.
The Director of Development will report to the President of the LIM FEF Board of Directors. He/she will be responsible for leading and managing all of LIM’s development activities, which includes developing and implementing strategies related to annual fund/direct response, major and planned gifts, corporate and foundation relations, and events. The Director of Development will dedicate the majority of his/her time to major gift identification, outreach, solicitation, and stewardship. The selected candidate will be an externally focused development professional with a strong passion for LIM’s mission-driven work in the global fashion industry.
The Director of Development will be a development professional with proven fundraising experience. This position will work in tandem with LIM FEF leadership, the LIM FEF Board of Directors, and the Fashion Industry Advisory Board to foster the growth and engagement of LIM alumni as well as build ever-stronger relationships with leading members of the broader retail and fashion sector. Another important component of the position will be the ability to personally cultivate and solicit a portfolio of major gift prospects as well as to engage administrative and volunteer leadership in ways they can add the greatest value.
Areas of Emphasis for the Director of Development
The Director of Development will provide strategic direction, leadership, and daily management of all fundraising activities at LIM FEF as follows:
- Work alongside the Board of Directors of LIM FEF to establish fundraising goals and develop and implement strategic objectives to raise these funds.
- Manage and direct a comprehensive development program including major gifts, direct response/annual fund, special events, planned giving, targeted approaches to private and public funding sources, and appeals for specific needs (such as capital funds, major gifts, endowment funds, corporate and in-kind support).
- Maintain and build relationships with all constituencies (current and past parents, students, alumni, board members, faculty, donors and leading members of the retail and fashion sector).
- Effectively present the case for support of LIM FEF to individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Develop and manage the cultivation and solicitation of a personal portfolio of 75-150 prospects including individuals, corporations, and foundations. Conduct approximately 100-120 meaningful moves per year and solicit 24 or more proposals.
- Serve as the development office liaison to academic departments, administrative leadership, and faculty.
- Attend on and off campus events and engagements in which donor prospects are present, and as requested by the President or Secretary of the LIM FEF Board.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of fundraising and special events, analyzing the process and results of each event.
- Develop methods and materials to educate prospects on LIM’s compelling and emerging needs.
- Oversee the maintenance of the DonorPerfect database.
- Enhance and establish policies and procedures for development and volunteer activities.
- Oversee the process of acknowledgment and stewardship of gifts.
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and Leadership Teams as requested.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the full range of LIM programs; take actions in the best interest of LIM with respect to community relations (within and outside LIM), volunteer efforts, services, gifts, and fundraising from public and private sources.
Qualifications & Preferences
- Knowledge of and proficiency in fundraising strategies and techniques for annual, major, and planned gifts.
- Track record of identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to donors, volunteers, and colleagues as well as College leadership and students.
- A demonstrated understanding of and appreciation for LIM FEF’s mission and awareness of the fashion/merchandising industry.
- Proven experience (5 or more years) in fundraising.
- Creative, innovative, and able to devise new approaches to philanthropy.
- Ability to think and act independently as well as collaborate with a team.
- Attention to accuracy, confidentiality, details, and deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with fundraising databases (DonorPerfect preferred).
- Ability and willingness to travel periodically and work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
About LIM FEF and LIM College
LIM Fashion Education Foundation (LIM FEF): The LIM Fashion Education Foundation was founded in 1977 in direct response to students’ financial needs. A 501(c) (3) non-profit organization managed by a volunteer Board of Directors, it is separate and distinct from LIM College. 95% of donations to LIM FEF go towards scholarships and foundation-related activities. Since 1979, the LIM FEF has awarded more than $1 million in scholarships to deserving students. Its funds have been raised through support from individuals, alumni, corporations, and special events and currently stand at just over $1 million. To ensure longevity, total annual scholarship awards are capped at a payout rate of 5% of the average asset value of the funds over the past three years.
In a time of increased student need, LIM FEF seeks to transform its fundraising effort to expand the number and size of scholarships (Currently 45% of the student body demonstrates significant financial need, while only 5% receive scholarships from LIM FEF) and to provide educational enhancements that directly benefit LIM students, including but not limited to:
- Providing technological resources to students to keep up in an ever-changing environment
- Supporting student and faculty research
- Funding faculty participation in conferences, training, and industry events in order to help them bring the most up-to-date information back to the College and classrooms
- Enhancing study abroad programs and student exchanges (currently offered in Australia, China, London, Madrid, Paris and Rome) in order to offer students more opportunities to learn abroad and become globally aware
Laboratory Institute of Merchandising College (LIM College): Located in Midtown Manhattan, LIM is a private college that prepares its enrollment of nearly 1,700 students for successful careers in the global business of fashion and its many related industries. LIM was founded in 1939 by retail and education expert Maxwell F. Marcuse as the Laboratory Institute of Merchandising, although the name was officially shortened to just LIM College in 2009. LIM currently offers master's, bachelor's and associate degree programs in a variety of fashion-focused majors, with a strong emphasis on the connection between real-world experience and academic study in business principles.
LIM College’s mission is to educate students for success in the global business of fashion and its many related industries. As a pioneer in experiential education, LIM fosters a unique connection between real-world experience and academic study in business principles. Developing students’ creative and critical thinking, as well as leadership skills, an LIM College education empowers students to become accomplished professionals in a highly competitive, dynamic business environment as well as responsible citizens of a global society.
In support of its mission, LIM lives by the following core values:
- Academic Excellence: challenge all to realize their full intellectual and professional potential
- Collegiality: embrace trust, diversity and respect
- Ethical Behavior: act with honesty, integrity and accountability
- Student Focus: place students at the center of everything that we do
LIM educates its students through hands-on experience coupled with a dynamic and responsive curriculum. By partnering with fashion related businesses, LIM provides a wide range of internships, professional development opportunities, and instruction in the latest industry processes and technologies, empowering students to pursue meaningful careers in a wide range of global fashion-related businesses. LIM’s dedicated faculty share professional knowledge and experience, challenging students to grow through dynamic and relevant programs that foster critical thinking and problem solving and hone analytic and communication skills. LIM College celebrates the uniqueness of each student, encouraging a community of interaction and participation in a highly personal, student-centered learning environment that inspires intellectual curiosity and creativity.