Development Manager, East Coast - Fully Remote
Classification: Full time, exempt
Location: Remote (must be able to work East Coast hours of 8AM-4PM, ET)
Reports to: Development Director
Salary: The transparent, formula-based salary range for this position is approximately $45,000 to $67,000. The salary offered will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years of experience, location, job category, and other factors.
Benefits: Full coverage of vision, dental and life, and up to $600 stipend for ACA coverage; 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 9 paid holidays plus the week of Christmas - New Years.
T1International is a non-profit led by people with and impacted by type 1 diabetes for people with type 1 diabetes. We do not accept funding from the pharmaceutical industry or any medical device manufacturer to maintain our independence and ability to speak out freely.
T1International is leading the charge in the fight for affordable insulin and supplies worldwide. We believe in a world where everyone with type 1 diabetes has the opportunity to thrive, with affordable and sustainable access to the medicine and supplies they need. We are patient led in our work and values, and our team and community reflect a range of allies from caregivers, to parents, to partners, to those committed to health equity work.
T1International was founded in the UK in 2013 and became a registered 501(c)(3) at the end of 2019. Today T1International has six team members in the US and three team members in the UK.
About the role
The Development Manager is the newest member of our growing team and is a full time, salaried position expanded from a former part time role. This US-based position will report to the Development Director, who is located in the UK and oversees UK and USA fundraising strategies. Some oversight will, as a result, be held by the US National Director. T1I is a remote office environment; you will collaborate with colleagues who are based across the United States and the United Kingdom. You should be prepared to either work from home or a location of your choosing as long as you are able to work East Coast hours.
T1International has a current annual budget of just under $1 million. We are currently 90% grant funded, with a strong base of individual donors. The goal of this role is to further solidify that base of support while also proactively expanding other sources of income, particularly growing major ($500+) donors and expanding additional foundational and grant support.
This role is grant-funded and is secured through December 2021. The role is expected to secure funds to allow its continuation.
Individual Giving (30%)
- Oversee individual donor engagement program, including managing and implementing donor outreach programs, creating and launching campaigns, and identifying new opportunities
- Manage ongoing peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns
- Identify new ways to engage with donors online and in their communities
- Manage donor stewardship efforts
- Create any relevant collateral required for new or ongoing campaigns
- Run annual Giving Tuesday/End of Year campaign
Major Donors (30%)
- Based on the strategy created with the Development Director, implement a major donor engagement program including identifying prospects, creating resources to support cultivation efforts, and connecting prospects to Leadership Team (National Director and Executive Director)
- Create prospect fact sheets to create individual cultivation strategies with the Leadership Team
- Assess donors against the organization’s Ethical Fundraising criteria
- Ensure regular communication is held between prospects/donors and T1I team
Grant Writing (20%)
- Research potential funding sources
- Create cultivation strategies as needed with Leadership Team
- Draft letters of intent, grant proposals, and reports for selected foundations
- Ensure program team are aware of any obligations required of them from a proposal or funded project
- Create and operationalize end-to-end process for managing incoming donations including online donations, checks, and grants
- Ensure accurate record keeping of all incoming donations to the US entity
- Complete monthly reconciliations between CRM/database & finance system with the Operations Manager
- Send timely thank you letters to all donors
- Monitor the fundraising email address and promptly respond to all incoming concerns
- Manage the organization’s online fundraising platform and ensure accurate branding of the page and its subpages, and support fundraisers
- Ensure accurate recordkeeping of all grants including timelines, reporting schedules, and other key deadlines
- Knowledgeable in fundraising best practices and current trends
- Experienced in donor prospecting and campaign creation with at least 4 years of relevant experience within an organization of a similar or applicable size and model
- Able to demonstrate a track record of growing funding sources, particularly in cultivating major donors
- Experienced in grant writing, with at least 2 years of relevant experience
- Attentive to detail while managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Able to work efficiently and independently as well as collaborate effectively with others
- Direct personal experience with diabetes or from a community that is underrepresented in the diabetes space preferred
- Strong understanding of the lived experience, including management, treatment, terminology and impacts of type 1 diabetes (and other types of diabetes)
- Demonstrated commitment to diabetes communities combined with knowledge of diabetes and health policy and socio-economic issues, and a strong understanding of intersectionality, racial justice, and gender equity and ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Passionate around patient issues and the need to bring the patient voice to the forefront
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to centering racial equity and inclusion into fundraising practices and organizational culture
Please submit a letter (in the body of an email is fine) to email@example.com explaining why you believe you would be a good fit for the position, your work style, and any relevant experience you have, making sure to note how you consider patient-centered work and racial equity in your fundraising efforts. Also attach a sample of relevant material(s) you have created that you think best describes your work and/or a resume. Please be mindful of length; we encourage any attachments to be under 3 pages.
As a patient-centered organization, we especially encourage people who have type 1 diabetes to apply. We are also an equal opportunity employer committed to racial equity and social justice, and we encourage people of color, women, trans, disabled, and/or other minority groups to apply.
Ideal candidates will be available to start as soon as possible. Please note that this job posting will be live through March 17, 2021, and we may not begin contacting candidates until that time. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the role may be filled sooner if the right candidate is found, so we encourage those interested to apply early. The application process will include a phone screening, at least two video interviews by Google Meet, a task based exercise related to this role and your experience, and reference checks.
Please, no calls or emails—we will be in touch if we think you might be a fit for this position.