Managing Director, Finance and Administration/CFO
The Colorado Health Institute (CHI) seeks a dynamic and innovative leader to join our senior leadership team as Managing Director, Finance and Administration/Chief Financial Officer (MDFA/CFO). Reporting directly to the CEO, this position will oversee all financial and administrative functions that support the growth of this dynamic organization. This is a new position that will advance CHI’s strategic objectives and evolving business model.
The MDFA/CFO will play a critical role in the efficient and effective management of the overall organization while supporting and advancing the organization’s growth strategy. The successful candidate will be responsible for budgeting and finance, human resources, and general operations while also setting the stage for planned growth in both revenue and FTE count.
Serving as a strategic partner to the CEO, the MDFA/CFO will support forward-looking financial analysis and projections to facilitate strategic decision-making as CHI transforms its business model and continues on its growth trajectory. The MDFA/CFO will provide day-to-day oversight for the fiscal direction of the organization, lead the business operations and administrative team, create an administrative environment that ensures programs function at peak efficiency, and implement the tools and systems needed for tomorrow’s organization. This includes developing, implementing, and evaluating systems that will facilitate or expedite administrative support to all program functions and consulting projects that drive business success. The preferred candidate would ideally have expertise in both nonprofit and consulting business operations.
The MDFA/CFO will join an agile, energetic, collaborative, and established leadership team committed to strategically positioning CHI as a forward-looking partner in the transformation of health care across Colorado, building on the trust we have earned as the state’s leading independent health systems and health policy research group.
At CHI, we believe that sound evidence and solid analysis lead to better health policy, and that better health policy leads to better health for all Coloradans. The MDFA/CFO will ensure that this mission-driven passion translates into a consulting practice that supports health leaders, communities, organizations, and systems throughout Colorado working toward the same goal.
As the MDFA, the successful candidate will strengthen CHI’s business services team and systems and play a critical role in our future success. The MDFA/CFO will lead a team of effective operations directors, accountants, and other administrative team members that currently includes three full-time staff and some contractors. Responsibilities are far-ranging and primarily include:
- Organizational Strategy and Performance
- Fiscal Management
- Contracting, Legal and Risk Management
- Human Resources and Benefit Administration
- Board Relations
- General Office Administration
More details about the position’s responsibilities can be found at https://www.coloradohealthinstitute.org/careers
Founded in 2002, CHI is an innovative and independent health research and consulting group. We answer Colorado’s most pressing health questions by providing analysis and expertise that inform policy, advance health, promote collaboration, and support better access to care for all Coloradans.
CHI is undergoing transformational change as we broaden our business to advance our public-service mission. This change impacts our business operations and engagement with our community and stakeholders. We lead a robust consulting practice that augments operating support from several health foundations. The complexity of our work requires new rigor and discipline not only around our financial operations but also as we aim to accurately project future work, revenue, and staffing levels. The MDFA/CFO will play a critical role in directing CHI’s long-term success.
While our business model is changing, our commitment to our mission and vision has never been stronger: We improve the health of all Coloradans through independent research, analysis, and insight that lead to sound health policies and decisions.
CHI’S GROWTH STRATEGY
CHI, established by three Colorado-based health foundations in 2002, is now a $9+ million organization with a 30-person team.
Several philanthropies including The Colorado Trust, Caring for Colorado Foundation, and the Colorado Springs Health Foundation provide operating support to CHI. These funds cover CHI’s core research portfolios, allowing us to conduct the work that is most needed and relevant as a free community benefit.
CHI’s primary revenue source is generated from consulting projects we undertake on behalf of foundations, health care delivery systems, state agencies, public health departments, and other health organizations. Today, consulting revenue represents nearly 80% of CHI’s operating budget.
Competitive candidates will possess:
- Ten years’ experience of direct financial management and/or accounting experience required.
- Experience managing personnel, compensation, and benefit systems.
- Experience overseeing effective IT operations.
- Ability to work with and as part of a team of highly motivated colleagues and peers. Team collaboration is very important to our culture.
- Ability to work in high pressure and deadline-driven situations.
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions quickly while ensuring all relevant team members are included in the decision-making process.
- Ability to look at the big picture and be a thought partner who can recognize when project is at risk of going off-track for time or budget.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous experience with federal contracts, procurement processes, and scale as the organization takes on more complex work desired; some experience in reviewing and negotiating business contracts also preferred.
- Previous nonprofit organization and consulting business model experience is preferred.
- Experience reporting to and engaging with a board of directors is preferred.
- Experience in identifying and managing external contractors/outsourced operations.
- Staff management experience and experience with embedding DEI into workplace/processes
- Bachelor’s degree required (MBA, CPA, and/or equivalent certification and/or experience preferred).
- A passion for nonpartisan, evidence-based policymaking with the goal of making Colorado healthier for all its residents.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated:
- Integrity, embodied by being honest and trustworthy;
- Leadership skills, including the ability to inspire others to achieve their best work;
- Initiative, shown by the confidence to make decisions and take risks; and
- Adaptability, key to working in a fast-changing environment.
- Base salary range is $140,000 - $175,000, commensurate with experience, coupled with attractive incentive plan.
- Comprehensive benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, 401K, transportation and cell phone stipends, and paid time off annually.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting at Carolyn.email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but preference will be given to those applying on or before April 1, 2021.
The Colorado Health Institute is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.