Director of Development, Presidential Advancement
Who we want:
Director of Development, Presidential Advancement
Building off the momentum of the public launch of Campaign ASU 2020, the Arizona State University Foundation for A New American University is continuing to expand its development team with an entrepreneurial, creative, ambitious and innovative individual to serve as our Director of Development, Presidential Advancement. The ideal candidate will be able to capitalize on the abundance of philanthropic opportunities ASU has generated by being the #1 Innovative University in the US according to US News and World Reports ahead of MIT and Stanford.
The Director is a forward-looking professional who will take a lead role in establishing a fundraising and advancement vision and playbook (including goals, benchmarks and timelines) for presidential and pan-university initiatives with a focus on new educational models, education technology and the P-20 education continuum. This dynamic leader will be a self-starter with a proven record of success in K-12 or higher education in fundraising, partnership development or business development. This position will be externally focused, reporting to the Vice President of Presidential Advancement, and will play a key role as the Foundation continues its ongoing effort to generate financial support that will help ASU. The Director will proactively manage a donor/prospect portfolio and work collaboratively with other development officers within ASUF and ASU to secure high level investments
What you'll do:
- Articulate and promote compelling and creative case statements and develop and submit written proposals, budgets and other collateral materials needed to secure philanthropic investments
- As an externally focused development professional, identify, engage, and solicit individuals and organizations that have the capacity to invest at the seven-figure or higher level in support of the university
- Develop and implement strategies for prospect development, engagement and stewardship in collaboration with partners across the enterprise. Guided by the direction and scope of each prospect's interest, proactively collaborate across the university enterprise to leverage the maximum philanthropic potential of each donor
- Furnish timely reports on progress toward assigned goals and solicitation results; work effectively in the ASUF prospect management and tracking system, following all protocols for visits and solicitations
- Assess the viability of potential fundraising projects and efforts, standing up nascent fundraising programs with principal giving potential as needed to advance the development enterprise
- Participate in strategic planning with the Presidential Advancement team as it relates to fundraising and program development working closely with the Vice President and senior leadership of ASU and ASUF
- Other development related duties as assigned
What you'll need:
The Director will have experience working in a fast-paced organization and have a broad range of solicitation or partnership experience, a strategic mindset and a deep commitment to the vision of ASUF.
- 8+ years’ successful fundraising or partnership development related experience in K-12 or higher education
- Knowledge of emerging educational models and innovations including but not limited to microcredentials, concurrent enrollment, and adaptive education technologies
- Knowledge of emerging donor trends and ability to anticipate change and proactively pivot in order to react to trends
- Documented success in personally implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation or partnership development strategies that use a relationship building management approach leading to successful gift closure or collaboration.
- A successful track record in securing philanthropic investments at the leadership ($1M+) level from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Ability to prepare complex and detailed proposals and related materials
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentially and responsibility regarding information related to Foundation and University business and as well as confidential prospect information.
- Proven experience effectively engaging with high-profile individuals and representatives of national foundations and corporations.
- Experience creating and maintaining collaborative and consultative partnerships that lead to successful philanthropic investments.
- Excellent relationship building skills with proven ability to influence without direct authority.
- Proven ability to bring a consultative approach to decision making.
- Individual and team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred. Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning is preferred.
The successful candidate must possess outstanding leadership, interpersonal and communications skills. The candidate must be a high-energy, hands-on individual with strength of conviction - a self-confident leader who, in part due to his/her personal presence, style and demeanor, effectively sells ideas and solutions to others. Of equal importance, this person must have unquestioned integrity, curiosity and the ability to listen and learn from others.
- Comfortable with the challenge to reach agreement among occasionally conflicting interests to enhance the common good of the organization.
- Highly intelligent, with exceptional conceptual and creative skills, and the ability to visualize and translate the needs of the marketplace into business opportunities.
- Analytical, with a strong detail orientation – someone who can examine market research information and translate it into effective strategies and programs.
- Mature, confident, and successful professional with the executive presence and industry stature to effectively represent ASUF externally, and bring enhanced credibility to the organization.
- Strong service orientation, a disciplined work ethic, and ability to instill a high standard of excellence to the overall team.
- A balanced individual capable of forging productive working relationships with a broad range of personality types and styles.
- Familiarity with the philanthropic community focused on education innovation is useful
Who we are:
ASU Enterprise Partners is a private, nonprofit organization based in Tempe, Arizona, that serves as the resource-raising arm of Arizona State University. We represent a new, innovative and highly efficient model for diversified revenue generation, serving five distinct subsidiaries that provide support for ASU:
- ASU Foundation matches donors with their passions by raising and investing private contributions to ASU programs, faculty and students.
- University Realty LLC cultivates and advances commercial and residential real estate projects to support ASU.
- Skysong Innovations, ASU Enterprise Partners’ technology transfer, creates a pipeline between ASU and the private sector.
- Enterprise Collaboratory at ASU equips faculty, staff and students to launch innovative and impactful initiatives rapidly.
- ASU Research Enterprise conducts applied research and consults for classified and midrange technology-readiness-level (TRL) services for the defense and security industry.
We employ a diverse team engaged in meaningful work, including fundraisers, designers, scholars, financial wizards, filmmakers, inventors, entrepreneurs and volunteers. Each member brings a different perspective to our vision, yet we share a mission to advance the most innovative university in the country.
Want to advance the most innovative university in the country – and your work? Join us.
There is no single career journey at Enterprise Partners. Roles often shift as passions are discovered. You’ll be encouraged to look across the organization to determine if new areas are of interest – whether in fundraising, real estate development, social media or something else. Training courses are offered every week, and our main offices face ASU’s Tempe campus, where our employees’ tuition is significantly reduced.
Our advancement opportunities are real – and so is the ability to be part of an intellectually stimulating, people-focused, mission-driven team doing meaningful work in a beautiful, vibrant, sunlit location.
With you as part of our team, together our potential is limitless.
Details about our comprehensive benefits are available at http://asuenterprisepartners.org/employeebenefits.
Clarity of focus while juggling complex projects and/or deadlines. Ability to meet demanding work schedule expectations.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. May be required to perform tasks in the field within and/or across University campuses. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions.
This position will require a laptop computer, telephone, and mobile communication device ($60 monthly reimbursement).
Contact us today.
For more information on ASU Enterprise Partners, visit our web site at www.asuenterprisepartners.org
If interested in the Director of Development, Presidential Advancement, please apply online at www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers.
ASU Enterprise Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer