Team Coordinator, Grants & Finance
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund is seeking a Team Coordinator to provide high-level administrative and project management support to our Grants & Finance team. Every single grant awarded, contract signed, and payment processed runs through our Grants & Finance team, and the Team Coordinator will play a critical role in ensuring smooth, efficient operations as we send resources to our partners working to make our democracy more open and just.
As Democracy Fund — and the Grants & Finance team — continues to grow, we are looking for a Team Coordinator who serves as the hub of the team; connecting and working across the team and organization to support open communications, updating systems and processes to make them more efficient and effective, and providing strong customer service to our internal teams and external partners.
We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment and enjoys building and iterating systems, processes, and policies to better meet the needs of colleagues across the organization. Able to work independently on projects from conception to completion, the ideal candidate will be a resourceful, highly collaborative team player who excels at creative problem solving, possesses strong administrative and organizational skills, and is able to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities.
The Grants & Finance Team Coordinator will also support the operational work of Democracy Fund Voice, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. The Grants & Finance team sits within the organization’s larger Operations & People team, and this role reports to the Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Grants & Finance.
The Team Coordinator’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
SUPPORT FOR GRANTS & FINANCE CORE PROCESSES
- Provide first line customer service for grantees, vendors, and staff working in our core Grants & Finance team systems, including Fluxx, our grants and contracts management system, and Expensify and Bill.com, our invoice and payment processing systems (e.g., assigning user logins, troubleshooting common issues, answering basic questions, etc.).
- Provide data management support to ensure that grant, contract, and sponsorship information is consistent across systems (e.g., checking Fluxx IDs across Grants & Finance team systems, running reconciliation reports, etc.).
- Lead knowledge management efforts to inventory and organize Grants & Finance team information to make it more easily accessible by staff across the organization; partner with Grants & Finance team colleagues to develop new resources to fill identified gaps in overall staff knowledge of our team’s systems, processes, and policies.
- Support Grants & Finance team workflow by monitoring and proactively following up on grants, contracts, sponsorships, and payments that appear to be “stuck” at different points in the workflow.
- Conduct preliminary reviews of submitted grant application packages to ensure that appropriate materials are uploaded prior to final review and approval of grants.
- Track overdue grantee reports; review final reports and close out grants.
- Conduct preliminary reviews of submitted contract requests for completeness and compliance; growth opportunities include taking on a larger role in contract administration for the organization.
- Update reports to add payment information in Expensify and Fluxx to support efficient payment processing.
- Manage the Bill.com invoices inbox to ensure invoices are correctly routed to appropriate staff for approval.
- Manage the signature process for grants, contracts, sponsorships, and other legal agreements.
TEAM LOGISTICS & COLLABORATION
- Manage scheduling and logistics for the Deputy COO and coordinate meetings, events, and other special projects as assigned across the Grants & Finance teams.
- Work with colleagues to manage contract administration, expenses, and invoices for Grants & Finance team consultants and vendors.
- Manage scheduling and logistics for all internal grants approval committee meetings, including preparing agendas, coordinating staff participation, taking meeting notes, etc.
- Manage scheduling and logistics for Director of Finance’s monthly meetings with teams across the organization, including supporting follow up on identified action items.
- In partnership with the Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer and the People Team Coordinator, support scheduling, logistics, and material preparation for Grants & Finance team trainings, onboardings, and events for internal and external audiences.
- Provide scheduling and administrative support to Grants & Finance team colleagues to manage business travel logistics.
- Actively work to support the success of other members of the entire Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
- Work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Work to develop and support strong cross-organizational connections with other administrative staff across the organization to build and refine systems.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy.
- 3 – 5 years of experience supporting a high-performing team or senior level executive management, preferably in a nonprofit or finance setting.
- Proven track record of managing complex and competing deadlines, and the ability to exercise good judgement prioritizing tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and follow through to see tasks and projects to successful completion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to deliver clear, concise, and accurate written work products.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels to execute duties; proven talent in ensuring positive, proactive, responsive relationships within and across departments for compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative to solve problems and displaying excellent judgement during difficult situations.
- Excellent prioritization and time management skills with demonstrated success supporting an organization’s executives.
- Trusted professional with proven experience handling confidential information with discretion, adaptable to various competing demands, and who naturally seeks the highest level of customer service and response.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable in working in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
- Willingness to work with leaders, advocates, and media from across the political spectrum.
- High comfort with Microsoft Office suite (especially Microsoft Excel and preferably in a Mac environment); experience with Fluxx (or other grants management systems), Adaptive, Expensify, Bill.com, and/or Salesforce a major plus.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree (or relevant experience).
- The position will eventually be based in Washington, D.C. but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired number of years of experience will not be considered. Take this as a chance to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.