Senior Director of Development
TITLE: Senior Director of Development
DEPARTMENT: Development and Communications
REPORTS TO: Managing Director of Development & Communications
SALARY RANGE: $85,000+ Annually. Commensurate with Experience, plus Excellent Benefits
DATE: February 19, 2021
The Senior Director of Development is a dynamic, high-level fundraiser, project manager, editor, and operational guru. This role is responsible for assisting the Managing Director in supporting and expanding the multi-faceted fundraising program of a $30+ million community-based non-profit organization. The role addresses the department’s need for a skilled project manager, writer, editor, and workplan implementer to coordinate campaigns, proposals, reports, research, and operations, and to free the Managing Director of Development to focus on strategic planning and major donor cultivation and solicitation.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher required.
- Fundraising and project management experience, or work in a similar project and non-profit management position, is required.
- Successful in proposal writing experience is a plus.
The successful candidate must have the following skills:
- Experience leading and managing project teams
- Skilled as a people person with high emotional intelligence who can relate personally and genuinely with co-workers and Board members
- Excellent written, communications and presentation skills (ability to write clearly, concisely, and persuasively).
- Knowledge of New York City region philanthropic environment
- Strong proficiency in using Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or similar donor management/customer relationship management software
- Ability to implement a comprehensive moves management system
- Ability to synthesize prospect research information into strategic and appropriate donation asks
- Extremely high attention to details and strong organizational skills
- Highly dependable, responsive, and flexible
- Skilled in working on a team to maximize efficiency and effectiveness
- Skilled at demonstrating effectiveness through return-on-investment analysis
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the senior staff member reporting to the Managing Director of Development, the successful Senior Director of Development will be responsible for the detailed operational implementation of the development long-term strategy and annual plan.
- Conduct long-term fundraising operational planning with the Executive Director, the Managing Director of Development, and the Executive Team
- Work with the Managing Director of Development to create a detailed annual fundraising budget and operational plan with clear goals, objectives, and outcomes
- Implement the fundraising plan by integrating progress-to-goal measurements across department staff and functions, including an annual fundraising appeal, a large annual fundraising event, a large portfolio of government, foundation, and corporate donors, and a capital campaign in its advanced stages
- Identify and research foundation, corporate, and government grant opportunities to increase the proposing capacity of the Manager of Institutional Giving and the Grant Writer
- Manage the conversion of the donor database to the Salesforce platform, and integrate the donor database with the financial management system
- Support the Executive Director, and Director of Development and Communications major gift work with identified top prospects, including prospect research
- Liaison with the Data and Evaluation Department on translating program data to demonstrate program impact for inclusion in proposals and reports
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the department by staying abreast of department and organization-wide issues
- Provide in-depth narrative and budget review and editing for government, foundation, and corporate proposals and reports
- Assist in liaising with the Board’s Fundraising and Income Generation Committee
During public health restrictions, temporarily remote with flexible office work and limited travel to agency sites and meetings. Flexibility to work some nights and weekends required. Remote work situations will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills & experience meet the specific components you are applying for this position. We ask that you also provide us with three professional references that we can contact (at least one should be from a former supervisor). Please click on the link provided below, or use the link in a search bar and apply online through our career center.
No phone calls, please.
If selected for this position, applicant must obtain NYC Dept. of Health fingerprint clearance and State Central Registry (SCR) clearance (fees may apply); ability to maintain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance and fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.