Chief Development Officer
Chief Development Officer | Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
COMPANY OVERVIEW: Catholic Charities is the social ministry outreach of the Archdiocese of Washington. We believe in strengthening the lives of all in need by giving help that empowers and hope that lasts. Catholic Charities works to create a world in which every person is cherished, regardless of individual limitations, and strengthened in the use of personal gifts in order to reach his or her full potential as a valued member of the community. We are looking for exceptional people who share our vision and values.
Inspiring Hope. Building Futures.
JOB SUMMARY: The Chief Development Officer (CDO) develops and executes the Agency strategy for all fundraising activities to include securing individual, corporate and foundation contributions and government grants and contracts. The CDO implements a clear and passionate vision to achieve dynamic growth in all areas of the Agency’s fundraising efforts. The position serves as a member of the executive team providing advice and consultation on all issues related to philanthropy.
Supervisory Responsibility: Provides administrative supervision of 6-8 FTEs and functional supervision of 10-12FTEs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership, direction, and coordination for the Agency’s development strategy. Conceive and implement a sound fundraising program that significantly broadens the Agency’s base of support from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Establish performance measures and monitor results to enable the Chief Executive Officer and the Development Committee of the Board to evaluate the effectiveness of the Agency’s development program.
- Create and implement a results-oriented team culture through collaboration and support. Recruit, retain, and lead the development team.
- Meet or exceed personal annual fundraising goal(s) as established in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer.
- Maintain a portfolio of 75-100 donors including board and committee members.
- Develop and manage an annual budget in line with Agency priorities and successfully implement strategic plan and budget to meet established goals and objectives.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business administration or related field.
- 7 or more years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience in fundraising with a track record of successfully developing major donor fundraising strategies and securing gifts.
- Experience in marketing and communications approaches and strategies using best practices and current technologies.
- Extensive campaign and management experience.
SKILLS and COMPETENCIES:
- An experienced manager who possesses proven leadership and organizational skills, a keen understanding of best practices in fundraising, a demonstrated ability to build an effective development strategy and program, a strong record of securing major gifts, and exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Reflects an understanding of and commitment to the Agency’s mission and Catholic Social Teachings, possesses excellent writing and presentation skills, achievement-oriented, and has the personal 3 attributes necessary to effectively engage a range of donors, stake holder, business leaders and Agency staff.