Senior Director, Development
ABOUT GENERATION CITIZEN:
Generation Citizen is transforming how civics education is taught by bringing the subject to life. We champion real-world democracy education that equips all young people with the skills and knowledge needed to effect change. To ensure that our democracy represents the voices of all people, we prioritize working with students from communities that have been historically excluded from the political process. In the classroom, our Action Civics program inspires robust civic participation by inviting students to engage directly with the local issues and institutions impacting themselves and their communities. We provide thought leadership, conduct research, and build coalitions to advocate for state and district level policies that ensure schools prioritize Action Civics.
Generation Citizen is in our 11th year of operations and has educated more than 90,000 students since our founding.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Senior Director, Development will lead and strengthen GC’s integrated development and communications strategy and implementation, manage a development staff, guide and oversee regional Executive Directors on development strategy and execution, and build out the organization’s overall development and communications systems. This position will play the principal role in leveraging staff and volunteer leadership to grow our fundraising base from approximately $4M in the current fiscal year, enabling us to implement our new five-year strategic plan. This person will report directly to the CEO, and will be a key member of the national Management Team.
Development & Fundraising
- Create and oversee the execution of a national and regional annual development plan with specific, quantifiable goals aligned with our five-year strategic plan.
- Directly supervise and mentor a growing national development team; lead the growth and development of the team, bring best practices, and leverage systems for efficiency and impact.
- Lead the team to achieve ambitious fundraising goals through individual gifts, foundation support, corporate partnerships, government, and earned income.
- Guide and provide oversight to regional Executive Directors and staff in their ongoing fundraising efforts; help them to build systems and relationships necessary to increase localized fundraising outcomes, with a focus on prospecting and cultivating donors.
- Collaborate with CEO and Executive Directors in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding high-capacity individual and institutional donors to meet ambitious fundraising goals.
- Collaborate with the CEO and Board to cultivate current top donors and develop significant new prospects.
- Equip and mobilize the Board of Directors and Local Boards to play an integral role in fundraising, including regular and direct work with the Board’s Development Committee.
- Develop, track, and report on fundraising metrics, utilizing that data to drive decision making about strategic shifts or adjustments as needed.
- Ensure cohesive cultivating and prospecting systems and processes across all regions and the national organization.
- Ensure all fundraising efforts are developed through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion and that Generation Citizen’s overall revenue strategy is in line with organizational values.
External Affairs & Communications
- Oversee the organization’s brand; support in building a culture of strong brand ambassadorship
- Lead organizational external communications and earned media strategy to support mission, raise brand awareness, and support policy, program growth, and fundraising goals.
- Manage team and external vendors to produce a suite of marketing materials and a website that supports strategy implementation.
- Serve as a member of the Management Team (and larger Leadership Team, which includes our regional Executive Directors), guiding overall organizational decision-making and helping lead the implementation of our new strategic plan with a deep focus on equity and systemic impact
- Work with the Management Team to improve and promote connections between GC’s programmatic, policy & advocacy, and development work.
- Build strong relationships with employees across sites and departments; promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters high quality work, cooperation, communication, collaboration, teamwork, trust, and embraces diversity.
- 7+ years of progressive experience in fundraising execution (education and/or policy fundraising preferred).
- Experience building and executing strategies that identify and cultivate gifts from high net-worth individuals, corporations, and major foundations.
- Experience leading a team responsible for comprehensive media strategy, including earned media, events, and social media. (preferred)
- 4+ years of team management experience.
- Experience working in a national nonprofit organization with regional sites (preferred)
- While all GC teammates are currently working remotely, we want this person to be based in one of GC’s six regions (with a preference for Boston or New York) with an ability to commute to a local office, once re-opened.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & NECESSARY COMPETENCIES:
- A deep commitment to and passion for Generation Citizen’s mission
- A professional track record and personal commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, with a high level of cultural competence
- Strong analytical aptitude with an ability to effectively distill quantitative and qualitative data to inform strategies and decisions
- Strong ownership of personal work, as well as team outcomes, with ability to set and manage against goals, strategically anticipate and mitigate barriers to preferred outcomes, and take decisive action
- Excellent communication skills, professional demeanor with diverse stakeholders, and a successful track record serving as an external representative for a mission-driven organization
- An inspiring leader, strong relationship-builder, empathetic listener, and excellent manager of people
- Highly collaborative with a strong ability to project manage and get things done (individually and through others) in a fast-paced, dynamic, and primarily virtual environment
- A giver and receiver of direct and supportive feedback in order to inspire, motivate, influence and hold staff in all tiers of the organization accountable towards outcomes, as well as for personal growth
- Ability to thrive in a complex environment and comfortable operating in a matrix organization; able to make good decisions regarding prioritization of work and resources
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZDQSTZ9) and be sure to attach a resume and cover letter. The Talent Manager will reach out to qualified candidates to schedule a phone screen. We appreciate it if you could refrain from reaching out to GC team members directly to inquire about the position or status of your application.
While the hiring timeline is subject to change, the GC team hopes to have our new Senior Director, Development in place by April 30 . We encourage applicants to submit their applications early.