External Relations Officer, Arts Nonprofit
ABOUT THE GABRIELLA FOUNDATION: The Gabriella Foundation (TGF) transforms lives and communities through the power of dance, by providing high-quality dance instruction to thousands of youth ages 4 to 19 in the underserved Los Angeles neighborhoods of MacArthur Park, South Los Angeles and Watts. TGF's award-winning Everybody Dance! after-school program focuses on the technical mastery of dance in a studio setting, while the in-school program uses dance as a tool for learning to support academic excellence. In both models, professional dance instructors inspire students to achieve their very best by imparting life skills and instilling confidence, creativity, and commitment. And it’s working: Over 90% of after-school students say they have higher self-esteem, improved physical fitness, and a greater sense of being supported by family and the community because of Everybody Dance! In addition, 100% of graduating seniors in the after-school program graduate from high school to pursue college and career, many the first in their families to do so.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: TGF seeks a dynamic, self-starting, entrepreneurial individual to join the organization at a critical and exciting stage in its 21-year history. The position reports to the Program & Artistic Director and works in close collaboration with the Administrative Director and the Board of Directors. The External Relations Officer is responsible for planning, developing and implementing comprehensive strategies to maintain and increase individual, corporate and institutional philanthropic support of The Gabriella Foundation through direct solicitation and event support. In addition, the position is responsible for directing the marketing and communications initiatives that support TGF’s strategic goals and enhance the organization’s visibility.
The External Relations Officer will be a trusted advisor to the Program & Artistic Director and will participate in executing the organization’s recently completed strategic plan. The person will also ensure that fundraising and communications strategies are aligned with TGF’s sustainability and growth plans and manage the day-to-day administration of all development operations, including supervision of an External Relations Manager and a contract grant writer.
- Design and execute TGF’s fundraising plan for raising annual operating income, increasing overall support, and diversifying revenue streams
- Manage the strategic participation of key staff and board members in cultivating and stewarding individual, foundation, corporate and other donors
- Maintain up-to-date calendar and work plans for all development efforts, including grant proposals and reports, mailings, marketing activity, and events
- Prepare and/or review grant proposals and reports, and assist in developing methods for identifying and evaluating program outcomes
- Ensure that the donor database system for recording, acknowledging and encouraging individual, institutional, and corporate giving is consistently updated
- Serve as an engaging external representative of TGF, nurturing relationships with TGF’s Board, donors and partners
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the philanthropic landscape to pursue opportunistic partnerships as they relate to individual donors, major donors, giving trends, and charitable contributions in the field of performing arts, dance and youth development.
- Direct strategic communications efforts to increase TGF’s visibility, developing content, managing public and media relations, and identifying new opportunities, while ensuring that all external materials align with and enhance TGF’S brand
- In partnership with the Administrative Director and the External Relations Manager, oversee the content creation on TGF’s website and support a brand aligned social media strategy
- Oversee planning and execution of TGF’s signature annual event, as well as smaller donor engagement events, in collaboration with the Board of Directors and staff members to ensure maximum fundraising potential
TGF is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. People of color, LGBTQIA, and bilingual people are encouraged to apply.