VP, Stewardship & Operations (Nationwide - Chicago Preferred)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's
leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of
downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a
nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in
the fight to end hunger.
Apply deep knowledge of all aspects of Development including industry best practices and Feeding America priorities to lead, drive and execute a Stewardship Center that will support the entire Development team’s annual goals by providing world class donor engagement processes, tools and support.
The Vice President will create, plan, and execute project
management practices that promote innovation and improvement of
strategically focused fundraising and donor stewardship across
Feeding America's departments. Act as the liaison for key
donor communications with the CEO and lead key projects for the
Chief Development Officer.
- Conceptualize, staff and lead a comprehensive new Stewardship Center to ensure the Development team has the systems, processes, and workflows to effectively steward donors across all areas of giving. The goal of the Stewardship Center is to increase donor retention and engagement by enhancing the donor experience. The Vice President will develop strategy and direction for production of philanthropic content such as print, digital and video content; create external donor stewardship opportunities such as virtual donor events; and provide project management support to relationship managers in Major Gifts, Foundations and Corporate Partnerships.
- Continually collaborate with colleagues across the Development, Communications, Marketing and External Affairs teams to design, refine and enhance comprehensive stewardship offerings for donors.
- Create, implement and maintain the system, tools and assets to assist relationship managers with project management for key grants and funded projects.
- Act as an internal liaison amongst the Access, Equity & Opportunity, Member Grants and Development teams, which will include understanding and interpreting program budgets and funding needs, as well as keeping a pulse on ongoing program developments, learnings, successes and challenges.
- Hire, train and supervise staff of the Stewardship Center as well as drive strategy and priorities for the group.
- Work with the CDO and VP of External Affairs to develop and execute a strategically-focused approach to the creation and nurturing of committees and councils that support Feeding America’s mission; support launch and management of a National Development Committee consisting of Board Members and key donors; lead the development and administration for committee meetings in partnership with the CDO as well as manage the outcomes of the meetings.
- Identify and engage key stakeholders to ensure collaboration occurs between departments, across the Network and with external partners.
- Lead the planning and execution of Development team meetings with strong facilitation and robust and timely information flow from relevant departments and subject matter experts.
- Work closely with Philanthropy Operations and Finance to monitor and analyze revenue, expenses and key performance indicators against annual goals for the Development team.
- Manage communications between key donors and the CEO’s office.
- Conduct analysis and develop recommendations to continually refine and optimize the CDO’s donor portfolio to maximize impact for the organization.
- Develop and implement processes and tools to enhance and streamline communication and information sharing between the CDO and the broader Development team.
- Develop and implement improved processes and tools to improve project management, communication and flow of information across Development, Communications, Philanthropy Operations, Supply Chain and Finance.
Planning and Strategy
- Working closely with the CDO identify and implement processes to identify new ideas, scan for best practices and drive continuous improvement within Development. Push the organization to draw on internal and external ideas and solutions to develop best-in-class initiatives and processes.
- Track individual departmental business plans with key performance indicators across all Development Department units.
- Coordinate efforts to integrate Feeding America’s Development team with fundraising efforts of Member Food Banks working in partnership with the Strategic Capacity Development Team.
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Committed to a workplace that values different backgrounds and life experiences and allows everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Builds equity into structures, systems and processes for our employees and the communities we serve.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Establishes Vision & Crafts Strategy: Develop strategic initiatives and create a supporting portfolio of projects that drives execution of organization strategy and operating goals. Create process and structure to build organization alignment and drive effective strategic execution. Build initiatives and projects to solve complex problems and address long term challenges/opportunities.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates organization strategy into SMART goals down to the team and individual level. Support highest and best use of organization resources and maximizes efficient use of department resources to deliver against strategic goals. Empowers teams to execute against agreed upon projects with approved resources. Monitors strategic progress and provides transparent feedback to all levels of the organization.
- Fosters Innovation & Continuous Improvement: Ensures that systems and processes are in place to identify new ideas, scan for best practices and drive continuous improvement. Pushes the organization to draw on internal and external ideas and solutions in developing initiatives and processes. Creates a learning environment.
- Drives Change (Takes Action): Diagnoses challenges looking at political and systemic barriers to change. Leverages data-based observation, interpretation and intervention to engage stakeholders in shaping and implementing solutions. Mobilizes the organization through effective interventions orchestrating dialogue and productive conflict to drive movement through the change process.
- Leverages Functional Experience: Leverages industry and functional expertise to shape strategic and operational decisions. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization. Identifies potential challenges or threats and develops plans to respond.
- Manages for Results & Delegates Effectively: Utilizes performance management processes to focus department on measurable results and promote accountability at the team and individual level for delivering against agreed upon goals. Holds self and others to high standards. Pushes decision making authority to the lowest possible level by establishing clear goals, proving supportive coaching and direct feedback.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience, Certifications & Education
- Experience across many facets of Development.
- Utilize a macro view on relevant trends in philanthropy and fundraising with a strong curiosity and interest in keeping up with fundraising trends, particularly around donor stewardship.
- Strong organization, planning and budgeting skills.
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills and the ability to build collaborative and productive relationships with other departments.
- BA/BS marketing or relevant experience.
- Ten plus years of professional and progressively responsible experience in nonprofit Development, with specific experience managing donor stewardship efforts, Development team operations and developing and executing strategies strongly preferred.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.