REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS: NONPROFIT STRATEGIC PLANNING CONSULTANTS
Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. (YAP) has initiated a Request for Proposal (RFP) process to identify
qualified consultants to guide and execute a strategic direction and planning process with our Board of Directors, Senior Staff, and the stakeholder community to inform and produce a strategic plan to guide YAP for the next three years.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO RESPOND?
Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. (YAP) seeks consultants who demonstrate a strong overall understanding of the structure and purpose of community-based, nonprofit youth and family service organizations that provide direct services to individuals and families and policy advocacy services. The winning candidate will have strong facilitation skills and have proven experience with nonprofit strategic planning. The proposal is due March 31, 2021.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. (YAP), founded in 1975, has a strong and unique mission: to work with juvenile justice, child welfare, behavioral health, disability and education government agencies so they do not rely on incarceration or other out-of-home placements to safely and effectively meet the needs of youth and young adults. We are deeply committed to advancing racial equity and inclusion, both internally and externally, as we are keenly aware of the impact of historical and current policies and practices that result in the disproportionate number of black and brown youth who intersect these systems and how they move within them. YAP operationalizes our mission through direct service, policy and advocacy. YAP’s direct service programs provide support to our nation’s highest need/risk youth and their families. YAP currently operates about 150 programs in urban, suburban and rural communities spread out over 30 states and Washington DC. YAP is a very diverse organization: over 60% of our program participants are people of color; over 50% of YAP staff are people are color; and over
50% of our Board are people of color. We serve 20,000 youth and their families each year, employ 520 salaried staff, and 1,400 hourly staff. Despite the impact of COVID-19, YAP is currently growing and starting up programs in several new locations, including a few key states. YAP embraces the principles of Race, Equity and Inclusion, and works towards social justice. We have a strong, active Board of Directors (16 members), and about 50 Senior Staff who oversee operations, including an 8-member Executive Team. For a more complete picture, please see our web site: http://yapinc.org
OWNERSHIP AND CONFIDENTIALITY
All intellectual property will become the property of the nonprofit organization receiving services. All data remains the sole property of the nonprofit organization. The consultant shall agree to keep information related to this process in strict confidence, including, but not limited to, the terms of the contract and any confidential business information or proprietary information that has been gathered on this project.
The proposal must also include the following specific information:
General information- The proposal should provide the name of the consultant, title, address, phone number, email address, and website, if one exists. The name and email address for any team members assisting in the project should also be included.
Consultant Qualifications & Roles- The proposal must describe the consultant’s qualifications such as work activities, expertise, knowledge, and experience. Experience should include examples of similar related nonprofit work.
Some key qualifications that will be considered:
● Experience in successfully developing strategic plans for nonprofit organizations
● Knowledge of collective impact or collaborative strategic initiatives
● Strong facilitation skills
- Experience in creating a neutral environment for obtaining input
- Experience in gathering and utilizing data to drive the strategic process
- Ability to constructively challenge key stakeholders
- Experience in inspiring others to think innovatively
● Project management experience
● Culturally competent in the areas of race, equity and inclusion
Work Plan- The proposal should include a detailed description of the activities to be conducted by the consultant to complete the work.
● Specific activities to be conducted in the process
● Sample timeline for the activity in the process
● List of milestones & deliverables tied to the activities
● Proposed payment schedule tied to project milestones & deliverables
● Daily rate if more work is needed
Detailed Budget for the Project- Please include a budget narrative to explain the costs.
Three Client References- Information regarding each reference should include the individual’s name, address, phone number and email address.
Previous Work Product- The proposal should include at least 1 sample of a previously completed strategic plan, including the planning process used to develop the plan. Portions may be redacted to protect private information as needed.
Instructions for submission
1. Closing Submission Date Proposals are due by 4:00pm on Monday, March 31, 2021
2. Inquiries Inquiries concerning this RFP should be directed to: email@example.com
3. Conditions of Proposal All costs incurred in the preparation of a response to this RFP are the responsibility of the bidder and will not be reimbursed by YAP
4. Submission Instructions
All submissions must be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submissions cannot exceed 15 megabytes per email. Multiple emails per RFP submission can and will be accepted. An email acknowledgement of each submission received will be sent to the applicant. All proposals received by the deadline will undergo a preliminary screening. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted for review and rating. Any proposal may be disqualified if it deviates from the submission instructions in the RFP.
5. Reservation of Rights YAP reserves the right to request or negotiate changes in a proposal, to accept all or part of a proposal, or to reject any or all proposals. YAP may, at its sole and absolute discretion, select no provider for these services if, in its determination, no applicant is sufficiently responsive to the need. YAP reserves the right to withdraw this Request for Proposal (RFP) and/or any item within the RFP at any time without notice. YAP reserves the right to disqualify any proposal which does not adhere to the RFP guidelines. This RFP is being offered at the discretion of YAP. It does not commit YAP to award any grant.
6. Confidentiality If the bidder deems any material submitted to be proprietary or confidential, the bidder must indicate this in the relevant sections of the response.
7. Ineligibility Conflict-of-Interest: Any individual or entity that has a conflict-of-interest as established in DDS Regulations, Title 17, Sections 54314 and 54500 et seq., unless a waiver is permitted and obtained.
8. Notification of Selection and Timeline YAP will seat the RFP Selection Committee. The evaluation process will include individual committee member evaluation, followed by committee discussion and ranking of proposals. After preliminary ranking of proposals, interviews may be scheduled with finalists, particularly if two or more proposals are closely ranked and/or more information is needed. References will be contacted for all finalists.
The final recommendation of the RFP Selection Committee will be submitted for approval by the YAP Board Chair, CEO and President, and is not subject to appeal. All applicants will receive written notification of YAP’s decision regarding their proposal, and an announcement of the applicant awarded the project will be posted on the web site.
Additional information may be required from the selected applicant prior to the awarding of the project. Any information withheld or omitted, or failure to disclose any history of deficiencies or client abuse shall disqualify the applicant from award of the project and/or contract. YAP reserves the right not to select an applicant for project implementation if, in its determination, no qualified applicant has applied or is sufficiently responsive to the service need.
In the event that no proposal is selected, YAP may elect to either not develop the service pending further analysis of alternatives to meet the expressed need, or to issue a new RFP to attempt to expand the pool of potential respondents.
Completed RFP submissions including all elements listed above are due by 4:00 p.m. on March 31, 2021. Submissions must be emailed to:
Attn: Committee Liaison for Strategic Planning [email@example.com]
● March 4, 2021 RFP Release Date
● April 3, 2021 Evaluation of proposals by Selection Committee
● April 26, 2021 Notice of selection mailed to applicants
● April 30, 2021 Startup contract signed
● October 31, 2021 Strategic plan completed and ready for implementation