Advancement Engagement & Alumni Manager
Reports to: Director of Advancement
FTE: Full-Time, Year-Round
When Needed: Immediately
University Prep is seeking a talented, compassionate, and engaging Advancement Engagement & Alumni Manager to help us advance our vision of being an inclusive community of learners that provides an outstanding education for each individual in a diverse student population. We are looking for someone who can work effectively independently as well as part of a team. We need a leader who understands best practices in advancement, and can help the school reach its strategic planning goals. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you. Salary is competitive with public and independent schools. University Prep offers an excellent benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and an extraordinary work environment.
Who We Are:
University Prep is an independent 6-12 school located in an urban residential section of Seattle, WA, one of the country’s most diverse and dynamic cities. We are a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni who collaboratively create an exceptional educational experience for every student. The school is a place of great teaching and joyful learning; a community that joins together to raise up our children to be caring and productive adults; a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and a place where we aspire for every family and student to feel equally enfranchised and at home. To us, diversity and inclusivity are not addenda; they are embodied in all facets of our school culture. University Prep believes that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission of developing each student’s potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
The Advancement Engagement & Alumni Manager (AEAM) is responsible for advancing University Prep’s mission by creating a culture of philanthropy that informs, engages, and excites the community to participate in meaningful ways. This position reports to the Director of Advancement and works closely with the Associate Director of Advancement, Advancement Database Coordinator, and Advancement Events and Communications Manager. The AEAM leads the UPrep Alumni Program and increases alumni visibility and engagement through creative and personalized solicitation, relationship-building, and stewardship strategies.
ALUMNI PROGRAM LEAD
- Creates and manages annual Alumni Program plan, activity briefs, timeline, and goals
- Plans all Alumni Board meetings, sets agendas, and arranges guest speakers. Works closely with the Alumni Board President to create annual engagement and fundraising goals for the Board. Helps to secure new board members and maintains a volunteer pipeline.
- Is responsible for envisioning and executing all aspects of alumni events each year, including the Summer Reunion Weekend, Winter Party, and Alumni Parent outreach event
- Executes alumni solicitation plan to increase number of donors and amount raised by 10% annually.
- Creates and maintains an alumni top 50 prospect list and develops individual engagement plans for each
- Collaborates with the Advancement Database Coordinator to create alumni profiles necessary for the marketing and stewardship efforts of the department and the school
- Plans, designs, and executes the alumni communication plan
- Is responsible for all stewardship related to alumni, including thank you calls and emails, swag, and other personal touches
- Interviews alumni and prepares profiles and Class Notes for the biannual UPrep Magazine
- Creates an annual engagement and communication plan for each of the major external communities; grandparents, alumni parents, and former Trustees with clear deliverables and goals
- Creates and maintains a top prospect list and develops individual engagement plans for each family
- Acts as lead on the annual Grandparents and Grandfriends Day with support from the Events & Engagement Coordinator
- Develops annual events for all external communities with the goal of increasing engagement and giving
NEW FAMILY ENGAGEMENT
- Develops, executes, and maintains a strategic New Family Engagement Plan that uses key events and communications to welcome families, educate them about the UPrep mission, and provide opportunities for parents to get involved
- Partners with the Diversity and Community Program Manager in support of Parent Council
- Acts as the liaison for the Admission and Enrollment team to increase successful communications and share information
- Creates a successful volunteer pipeline for parents which outlines opportunities and encourages participation
- Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
- Vigorously engages in their own professional advancement; is a life-long learner who enhances their skills, using state-of-the-art technologies to maintain high standards of performance to efficiently and effectively produce work products
- Complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
- Actively participates in the life of the school
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required
- A history of working collaboratively with key administrators and volunteers in leadership roles required
- 3+ years fundraising experience preferred
- Experience in private school environment preferred
- Database experience required
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- A deep appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the school
- Demonstrated self-starter; results-orientated with a strong work ethic; ability to multitask effectively and to prioritize competing demands
- Ability to delegate and manage-up effectively
- Ability to mentor and supervise volunteers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to “tell the story” of the school to a variety of audiences
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with marketing, communications, and external relations, and how they integrate effectively with a successful advancement effort
- Proven project management, organization, and multitasking skills
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality and professionalism
- Flexibility, maturity, and a sense of humor
- Ability to compile and analyze data
- Ability to grow donor relationships, involvement, and commitment
- Proficient in relevant advancement technology used in database management
- Proficient at working in a Microsoft Windows environment (Windows 9 or higher), using Office (version 2010 or higher, including Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint)
- Ability to talk on the phone
- Ability to sit and keyboard up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Some travel required
If this sounds like you, please click on the link below, then click on Apply Now, complete our online employment application and upload your résumé and a cover letter telling us why you are interested in and qualified for this position.
Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Thank you for your interest in University Prep and this position.
This description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position.
It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.