Managing Director, Philanthropy
2 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
Together, our community is shaping Jewish life in the Bay Area by focusing on three main priorities. First, we’re working to foster and facilitate more impactful philanthropy. Second, we’re working to ensure security and resilience for local Jewish families. And third, we’re engaging the next generation of Bay Area Jews, so they too can find connection and meaning in the values and traditions of Judaism.
The Federation seeks highly motivated individuals with a variety of skill sets to build the next generation of Federation engagement. We are especially interested in forward-thinking, collaborative, and open-minded candidates who are willing to take risks, possess a high level of integrity, and model a positive attitude that inspires confidence.POSITION SUMMARY
The Managing Director is responsible for the management and functions of Federation Philanthropy Partners (FPP), the Philanthropy department that focuses on growing and building a philanthropic advisory practice, administrating JCF’s donor-advised funds, and supporting foundation network. This role will work directly with the Chief Philanthropy Officer to position JCF in the competitive landscape of donor-directed resources in the Bay area in order to provide robust, holistic, and client-focused services to philanthropists and prospects with expertise in local, national, and international Jewish issues. JCF manages more than 1,000 donor-advised funds, 30 supporting foundations, and combined with hundreds of restricted funds and our unrestricted endowment funds, total $2.3 billion, the majority of which are donor-directed.MANAGERIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
This role has managerial responsibilities including 4-5 direct reports.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Work closely with the Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) and play an integral role as a member of the Philanthropy Leadership Team along with Development, Gift Planning, and Collaborative Giving towards a vision of integrated philanthropy campaign and endowment are centrally convened in the Jewish community at the Federation.
- Manage and supervise the day-to-day operations of the philanthropy advisory, donor-advised funds, and supporting foundation practice and team, including their administration and systems, client-services, investment, fiduciary responsibilities, and grant-making.
- Oversee design, implementation and management of content, programs, collateral, and business development of the donor-advised fund program.
- Lead and oversee team innovation around best practices in donor engagement and education, including our Jewish philanthropy perspective and impact lending program.
- Provide valuable thought-leadership for donors and in the field of philanthropy.
- Serve as a philanthropic advisor for a group of high-capacity donors and fundholders as determined by the CPO with a goal of increasing their engagement in the work of the Federation and philanthropy. Serve as a Donor Relationship Manager and/or solicit a number of donors and prospects to the Federation for the purpose of unrestricted and/or designated giving opportunities.
- Manage select supporting foundation and donor-advised fund relationships, as determined by the CPO, including their administration, client services, programs, and grant-making.
- Work closely with Chief Financial and Investment Officer (CFIO) to represent donor-advised interest on Investment Committee and Impact Investing Task Force.
- Work closely with Chief Impact Officer (CIO) to understand and offer fundholders the opportunity to participate in or donate to organizational giving priorities in engagement and resiliency portfolios; to consider impact across the organization including FPP and donor-advised giving.
- Assist in JCF campaign operations, Centennial Campaign, and other special development efforts by leveraging established relationships with clients and donors.
- Responsible for carrying out special engagement efforts as assigned by the CPO.
- Maintain and oversee robust tracking and information management to create appropriate communications materials.
- Assist in the transcription of valuable historical information re JCF donors and institutions to include added notes and information to appropriate databases (Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, and/or FIMS).
- Represent JCF at local and national events, conferences, and meetings in ways that help build relationships and trust with clients, donors, and partners.
- Previous and current significant management experience.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience.
- Previous work in the Jewish community, community foundation, and/or in wealth management preferred.
- Master’s degree a plus.
- Exceptional people skills and relationship-management a must along with donor-relations skills including interpersonal skills as a relationship-builder and proven ability in creating strategies to cultivate prospects and channel donor engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives and performance standards.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain a strong, cross-collaborative team.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the Jewish community, its customs, and practices.
- Strong knowledge of best practices in philanthropy trends and vehicles including donor-advised funds and planned gifts.
- Knowledge of the Federation movement, Jewish and nonprofit community, and community foundation landscape a must.
- Proven track record of success with fundraising systems, prospect identification, and business development.
- Understanding of business planning, wealth management, and financial markets.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and various electronic communication tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a highly motivated goal-oriented team environment including with professionals and lay leaders.
- Requires occasional attendance/participation at events in the evening or on weekends.
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter
to email@example.com. All
applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits — medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.