Senior Director, Major Gifts
1 day left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
Together, our community is shaping Jewish life in the Bay Area by focusing on three main priorities. First, we’re working to foster and facilitate more impactful philanthropy. Second, we’re working to ensure security and resilience for local Jewish families. And third, we’re engaging the next generation of Bay Area Jews, so they too can find connection and meaning in the values and traditions of Judaism.
The Federation seeks highly motivated individuals with a variety of skill sets to build the next generation of Federation engagement. We are especially interested in forward-thinking, collaborative, and open-minded candidates who are willing to take risks, possess a high level of integrity, and model a positive attitude that inspires confidence.FEDERATION PHILANTHROPY PARTNERS PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The Federation helps donors make their philanthropy more
effective. Through the generosity of over 1,100 donors, the
Federation grants close to $200 million a year, both locally and
globally, to a variety of Jewish and non-sectarian causes.
Federation Philanthropy Partners works with these donors, who all
have unique situations and varying degrees of need for our
guidance. Our aim is to be a trusted advisor and to inform,
educate, inspire, and challenge philanthropy driven by Jewish
values, and the philanthropists in our communities.
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer of the Jewish Community Federation, the Director of Major Gifts will be responsible for overseeing major gift and prospect development on the Development team, supervising the Major Gifts team, and manage their own portfolio of major gift prospects and donors, including identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects and donors in the Federation’s service area. The Director of Major Gifts will work closely with the Director of Advancement Strategy and senior staff on the Philanthropy Leadership Team (Federation Philanthropy Partners, Gift Planning, Collaborative Giving) to implement a donor-centric model of philanthropy whereby donor interests are matched with community needs through a suite of services including donor-advised funds, opportunities for planned giving, annual giving, and other philanthropic vehicles. The Director of Major Gifts will work closely with the Director of Advancement Strategy to help develop strategies for fundraising, outreach programs, and events in the Federation service area.
The Director of Major Gifts initiates and sustains relationships with assigned donors regarding their full range of philanthropic goals and will be supported by planned giving specialists on staff. This position serves as a leadership level fundraiser within a diverse development environment, including a significant community endowment, donor-involved vehicles, and annual giving. This high-profile position will work with our highest-level donors, senior volunteers, and staff at all levels.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Serves as the relationship manager for a portfolio of approximately 120 key donors and prospects beginning at the Major Gifts ($10,000+) level.
- Supervises the Major Gifts team, which consists of two Major Gift Officers.
- Develops a multi-year fundraising and stewardship strategy and plan for the Major Gifts team.
- Plays a visible and collaborative leadership role within the overall Development Department and for organization-wide projects and priorities.
- Plays an integral role as a member of the Philanthropy Leadership Team working across Philanthropy.
- Responsible for cross-departmental major gift collaborative efforts.
- Provides professional support and partnership to volunteer leadership of the organization in the identification, solicitation, and steward efforts.
- Actively engages in regular donor/prospect communication, cultivation, and direct solicitation with specific metrics and fundraising goals.
- Plan and execute major gift and prospect events for major donors across Philanthropy with the Events team.
- Responsible for global overseas mission strategy and planning as a tool for donor development.
- Assist in JCF campaign operations, Centennial Campaign, and other special development efforts by leveraging established relationships with clients and donors.
- Responsible for carrying out special engagement efforts as assigned by the CPO.
- Maintain and oversee robust tracking and information management.
- Create appropriate communications materials.
- Assist in the transcription of valuable historical information for JCF donors and institutions to include added notes and information to appropriate databases (Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, and/or FIMS)
- Represent JCF at local and national events, conferences, and meetings in ways that help build relationships and trust with clients, donors, and partners.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree in the field of Jewish Communal Service (or comparable field) desired.
- Major Gift Officer with successful fundraising experience including direct solicitation of five-figure and six-figure gifts.
- Experience in a multi-faceted fundraising environment (annual, legacy, and community foundation services/donor-advised funds) desired.
- Exceptional donor-relations skills: proven ability in creating strategies to cultivate prospects and channel donor engagement.
- Strong knowledge of philanthropic planning vehicles a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives and performance standards.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the Jewish community, its customs, and practices.
- Proven track record of success with fundraising systems and prospect identification.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and various electronic communication tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a highly motivated goal-oriented team environment.
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter
to email@example.com. All
applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits — medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.