Position Description: Stepping Stones Foundation (Historic Home of Bill & Lois Wilson in Katonah, New York) seeks an outgoing and experienced Advancement Officer to lead the Foundation’s fundraising. Reporting to the Executive Director, the position directs the annual fundraising and develops long-term goals to sustain the organization. The organization’s goal is to raise $600,000-$700,000 annually.
Background: Stepping Stones is nestled on the border of the hamlets of Katonah and Bedford Hills in the Town of Bedford in northern Westchester County, NY, in a suburban area approximately one hour north of Manhattan. The private, nonprofit, and tax-exempt National Historic Landmark, is the historic home and archive of William Griffith Wilson (“Bill W.”), who wrote the 12 Steps of recovery and cofounded Alcoholics Anonymous in 1934, and Lois Burnham Wilson, who cofounded Al-Anon Family Groups in 1951. The mission of the organization is to foster public understanding of alcoholism and inspire recovery by preserving and sharing the historic home, archives, and legacy of the Wilsons. Today their legacy touches more than 2 million people worldwide.
The home and archives include the Wilson’s residence, Bill W.’s writing studio, 8.17 acres of grounds (including flower and community vegetable gardens), 10,000 historic objects, and 100,000 manuscripts and photographs. The landmark offers tours, an Annual Picnic (2021 is its 70th year), and off-site and online programming including presentations and plays based on the Wilson’s archive. An online archive and website redesign are currently in development to better share the story and legacy of the Wilsons with worldwide audiences. For more information, visit https://www.steppingstones.org.
Position Overview: The Advancement Officer is responsible for maintaining the smooth operation of the Stepping Stones’ fundraising and communications administration and programming. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Advancement Officer liaises with the Stepping Stones Foundation Board of Trustees committees, staff and audience to communicate activities and raise funds for the organization’s annual and long-term sustainability. Primary responsibilities of position:
- Develop annual fundraising plans and appeals and works with outside consultant on long-term projects.
- Build strategy for major donor, matching, planned giving, recurring, in-kind, and wish list donor programs.
- Manage grant seeking activities and/or coordinate with grants consultant / writer.
- Steward direct contact with donors and handle donor prospecting.
- Maintain accurate data and oversee donor acknowledgements.
- Organize donor and cultivation events.
- Develop ambassador outreach program and oversee development volunteer activities.
Communications & Community Relations
- Develop annual and long-term communications plan, strategy, and messaging.
- Organize media and public relations activities, including media contact database.
- Create content for publications (emails, WordPress website, social media, ads, etc.).
- Oversee design, production, printing, and mailing of materials.
- Spearhead community and promotional partnerships.
- Co-supervise Foundation Assistant and Executive Assistant.
- Coordinate Communications & Fund Development and Community Relations committees.
- Participate as a member of the programs and events staff team.
- Represent organization at events and with potential supporters.
- Conduct research, tracks metrics and create reports.
- Fill in for Executive Director and other colleagues as needed.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experienced nonprofit professional with demonstrated success in raising funds.
- Past experience with similar organization, preferred.
- Interest in learning about 12-Step recovery history and the lives of the Wilsons.
- Reside in or willing to relocate to within 30 minutes of site.
- Knowledge of Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage or comfortable with similar systems.
- Position requires occasional travel within the metro-NYC / tri-state area.
- Automobile in good working condition.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; 80% of healthcare benefit is paid by employer; 401(k) with employer match the first 3% of the employee’s base salary.
Start Date: Spring 2021
Process for Application:
Bill Appleton is the MCA consultant leading this search. To be considered for the position, you must submit a current resumé, a one-page narrative describing interest and experience, and three professional references utilizing our online application system:
Once all your materials have been submitted online, you will receive a confirmation of your submission via the email address you have provided in the application.
Stepping Stones Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.