Associate Director, Grants & Contracts
Location: Flexible (Eastern Time Zone preferred)
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
The Associate Director, Grants & Contracts is a new position that will play a critical role in providing leadership for JFF’s pursuit of public sector funding opportunities that advance JFF’s mission as the organization continues to grow. The Associate Director will manage JFF’s pursuit of federal contracts and grants, including from the U.S. Departments of Education and Labor, as well as other agencies. In addition, this position will contribute to other proposal and fundraising activities, including pursuit of state and local government, foundation, and corporate grants and contracts.
The Associate Director will report to the Senior Director, Development Strategy & Operations and will work closely with the Associate Vice President, Development and other members of the Development Team. The Associate Director will operate with significant autonomy to lead cross-functional teams to submit successful contract and grant proposals. A successful Associate Director will have demonstrated expertise in public sector grant and contract business development and management, coupled with exceptional collaboration, communication, and project management skills. The Associate Director will bring a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and will be excited to work in an impact-oriented and highly collaborative environment.
What you'll do:
- Lead the Development Team’s federal and other public sector contract and grant proposal processes, including the writing, editing, coordination, and oversight of all proposal documentation and compliance with submission requirements, to ensure a high quality of final products.
- Track and analyze federal and other public RFPs to identify potential opportunities, vet with internal stakeholders, and ensure alignment with JFF’s strategic priorities.
- Support the Development Team in writing and/or editing proposals for foundations and corporate funders.
Relationship Building and Management
- Build and maintain close working relationships with Program Units for the purposes of developing high quality proposals.
- Identify, convene and manage internal proposal teams comprised of Program, Fiscal, and Development Team staff members.
- Manage relationships with relevant external partners throughout the proposal development process as well as to support the ongoing identification of new grant and contract opportunities.
- Manage federal and other public sector proposal processes in response to competitive RFPs from project kickoff through submission.
- Identify opportunities to improve the processes and systems needed to effectively manage the proposal process.
- Provide guidance and quality assurance to internal project teams on post-award federal contract management and grant reporting.
- Contribute to JFF’s strategy for expanding federal contract and grant funding, including identifying potential strategic partnerships and conducting agency outreach.
- Monitor proposal outcomes to identify effective strategies and to improve JFF’s proposal development process.
Who you are:
- You have 7+ years of relevant experience in fundraising or business development in the public sector or nonprofit arenas.
- You have a track record of success in pursuing grants and/or contracts from federal agencies and other public sector clients with exposure to garnering support from foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills as well as outstanding attention to detail.
- You are a skilled project manager who excels at meeting deadlines, working collaboratively with cross-functional teams, and effectively managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You possess comfort and facility in exercising influence without authority and know how to effectively engage, motivate, and communicate with cross-organizational teams and external partners.
- You have experience utilizing databases and CRMs (JFF currently uses Salesforce) and bring a process and systems improvement orientation to your work.
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission and the ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work.
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work.
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work.
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach.
Candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred, but not required, qualifications:
- You have experience developing cost proposals for federal and other public sector opportunities, including estimating and pricing levels of effort.
- You have direct contract and/or grant implementation experience.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Page Cooper Sciotto, Senior Director, Development Strategy & Operations, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.