4 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
POSITION OVERVIEW: Already a leading national media and culture organization in the immigration and citizenship space, Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic and multi-talented leader to join its team as a full-time Press Officer. The successful candidate will help frame and communicate Define American’s mission to its core audiences, as a writer and as a public relations professional.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday
SALARY: Starts at $60,000.
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Operations, Communications
REPORTS TO: Director, Communications
TRAVEL: 5-10% (when travel resumes)
Media Relations 80%
- Develop and implement publicity strategies for Define American’s programs and goals
- Develop pitches and media angles to help support Define American’s goals and mission
- Follow-up and respond to media requests – including scheduling and staffing meetings as appropriate
- Develop and implement organizational publicity strategies for public events
- Create and manage Define American’s press database
- Maintain Define American’s press archive and press data
- Representing the organization at press conferences, interviews, etc.
- Support media training for Define American staff and partners
- Help develop talking points and other documents as needed for media interviews and media opportunities
- Draft opinion pieces and additional materials for Define American
- Support communications materials on behalf of Define American’s board and leadership
- Support on editing and writing for programmatic report launches and other programmatic material
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- At least three years of progressively gaining responsibilities and experience in media relations and writing experience in non-profits
- Minimum of Associate’s Degree required
- Strong relationships with media outlets and reporters
- Background or interest in social justice, especially in the immigrant justice movement is a plus
- Social media savvy
- Ability to integrate into a faced-paced, team-first work environment, embracing and supporting coworkers in their objectives and goals as necessary
- DACA/undocumented persons encouraged
- The ability to write clearly and succinctly
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving, planning and organizational skills, and the ability to handle several duties simultaneously
- Self-sufficient and proactive
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary starts at $60,000
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- 401K match
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Health and Wellness Program
- Other reimbursements
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your employment application, along with all requested documents, via our employment application portal.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
ABOUT DEFINE AMERICAN:
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019 and 2020.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.