Director of Donor Communications
- Employment Type
- Full Time
This position plays a leadership role in developing messaging and creating strategic communications plans to inform and inspire philanthropic support. The Director works closely with organizational leaders, including the President, in developing timely, accurate, compelling messages, including the production of flagship materials such as the annual report, case statements, and cases for support for programs like the Trust’s African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund, the Where Women Made History initiative, and other work to preserve places that tell the full American story. The Director supervises the Associate Director of Development Communications, and directs the management of major gifts acknowledgements and principal gift proposal development, while also providing editorial guidance on fundraising communications projects throughout the organization.
- Lead all aspects of the development communications department, including decisions regarding: strategic direction, staffing, budgeting, professional development, performance management, team management, and cross-departmental and cross-divisional relationships.
- Cultivate effective relationships with the key internal and external stakeholders. Work collaboratively and with minimal guidance to advance departmental goals and ensure appropriate outcomes.
- Provide direction for the acknowledgement process for all major gifts.
- Create timely, compelling materials to be distributed to mid-level and major gift donors through the annual report, solicitation letters, acknowledgement templates, National Trust Council e-newsletter, and other material as assigned.
- Collaborate with Major Gifts team in development of high level proposals and cultivation messages.
- Partner with the Director of Foundation & Corporate Giving as needed on preparation of proposals and other solicitation materials.
- Collaborate with planned giving colleagues on development and distribution of planned giving marketing and communications.
- Collaborate with the finance and grants teams and gift officers to complete and distribute updates on the status and impact of endowed funds.
- Collaborate with marketing team to ensure that the organization’s print and electronic media channels are maximized to provide timely program and project updates that reach a major donor and planned giving audience to support cultivation, acquisition, and conversion.
- Direct special projects (e.g., presentations, talking points) as required.
- As required, responsible for recruiting, supervising, and retaining well-qualified and culturally diverse staff: hires and trains new employees; helps to develop work plans, organizes workflow, and delegates assignments; monitors employee productivity and performance, provides constructive feedback and coaching, and conducts annual performance reviews; works with management, direct reports, and Office of Human Resources as needed to identify, respond to, and resolve problems or performance issues as they arise. Monitors and approves timekeeping and related budget for direct reports.
- At least 12 years of professional level experience, including at least 5 years’ experience with budgeting, staffing, supervising professionals and leading teams to generate high quality results.
- At least 5 years of experience managing large, cross-functional projects and teams, preferably within a national level non-profit setting.
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills. Ability to synthesize complex ideas into coherent and compelling written communications, especially for purposes of fundraising engagement and stewardship.
- Exceptional attention to detail, accuracy and consistency
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Advanced project-management, team-management, and client-management skills. Ability to achieve results with limited supervision.
- Experience supervising professional staff, as well as successfully managing key internal and external stakeholders and relationships.
- Proven ability to collaborate across divisions to implement processes and achieve results. Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently, and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Proven ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential.
- Demonstrated success in marketing to and engaging culturally diverse audiences and partners. Bi-lingual language skills (especially English/Spanish) a plus.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment. Ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions required. Able to handle frequently changing and/or unscheduled tasks with accuracy.
- When working on-site, public contact and ability to work successfully in close proximity to others required. When working off-site, ability work effectively in a remote environment, maintaining productivity and communications to meet deadlines and goals for self and direct reports, is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required. Familiarity with other programs, including CRM databases and Adobe Creative Suite design software, a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
PAY & BENEFITS
This is a full time, exempt-level position, eligible for full benefits, including affordable health, dental, vision and life insurance, retirement plan contributions, and 3.5 weeks of paid vacation, plus sick time and holidays.
Hiring range: $105,000 - $115,000