Vice President, Health Equity & Policy
The National Urban League seeks a Vice President, Heath Equity & Policy. Under the general supervision of the Senior Vice President, the Vice President is responsible for providing executive level administrative oversight to a number of policy, programmatic, advocacy, engagement and operational processes, including implementation & deliverables, thought leadership, policy analysis, partner relations and other activities required to accomplish Division and Program Department goals and objectives.
The Vice President has primary and day-to-day responsibility for the Health & Quality of Life’s division’s policy, advocacy and engagement efforts, as well as managing the development of the internal tools, metrics and processes necessary for the organization to engage in continuous self-evaluation and improvement in those areas.
- In consultation with Executive Leadership develop and lead a refined Health Equity and Policy portfolio and related intersectional initiatives across local, state and national policy and priorities.
- Build Health Equity focused and culturally relevant and resonant messages, policies and strategies that advance the National Urban League’s vision and mission.
- Grow and manage a multi-million-dollar portfolio and related individual grant budgets.
- Collaborate with SVP, affiliate CEOs, Washington Bureau staff and national partners in establishing and updating policy, advocacy and engagement logic models, strategies, approaches and the application of the underlying NUL theory of change.
- Effectively function as a public-facing executive thought leader and advocacy voice on Health Equity policy and engagement across multiple constituency groups (national, state and local partners, health policymakers, public health officials, health reform and advocacy partners, community stakeholders) and in an intersectional manner.
- In collaboration with executive and senior staff, design quantitative and qualitative evaluation metrics and data collection methods for the portfolio.
- Work to tie the work of policy staff and program staff together by using insights gained from data analysis, both from internal sources and from publicly available external sources, in order to improve NUL thought leadership, advocacy, messaging and engagement.
- Lead staff and consultants (where applicable) in using data and evaluation results to develop recommendations for new policies, partnerships and strategies.
- Provide executive-level project management, research and analytical expertise on special projects and intersectional work.
- Engage strategic partners in research institutions, across the philanthropic community, and within government in order to support NUL’s policy, advocacy and engagement agenda and to spread our vision of Health Equity.
- Assist Programs Department and staff across our national offices in identifying best practices and disseminating lessons learned within and outside the organization in policy, advocacy and engagement by building coherence across the Department’s strategies, platforms, programs and initiatives.
- Communicate and prepare all interim, summary and final reports and updates across the portfolio.
- Work effectively with Graphic Design, Print and Communications internal and external professionals on the development of portfolio related publications, materials, tools and resources. Similarly work with stakeholders to translate and make more accessible, all NUL education reform and innovation tools, communication and resources for dissemination to NUL affiliate movement, partners, NUL target audiences and the public at large. Work to increase the capacity of affiliate CEOs, affiliate Health leads and NUL staff to more fully utilize virtual platforms and strategies, social media, media training and rapid-response approaches.
- Conceptualize, structure and lead themed convening’s, both in person and virtual, with organizational partners, advocates, constituencies, and researchers on issues of health inequity, social determinants of health, health disparities and access to high-quality care for the African American, Black and Diaspora communities, as well as for similarly situated urban and other historically underserved populations
- Master’s in Public Health (MPH) or a minimum of Master’s degree in a relevant field, a Juris Doctor (JD) or a combination of a Bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience.
Minimum of 12-15 years’
relevant experience as a senior or executive leader.
- Professional and practical background in Health policy, Health Equity, as well as Health research, practice and advocacy, with a particular emphasis on upending health inequities and disparities.
- Experience with fostering and supporting community stakeholder agency and voice.
- Demonstrated successful experience developing and implementing complex multi-year projects and initiatives.
- Deep professional experience with developing and refining policy, advocacy and engagement theories of change; particular expertise in public health and areas of equity and communities of color.
- Great comfort with advancing and participating in public discussions of complex and systemic issues such as those involving race, ethnicity, ability, language, sexual identity and socioeconomic status and similar issues of identity, demographics and history.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic initiative design, management, and implementation with a particular focus on Health Equity.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing, leading and supporting multi-sector partnerships and policy initiatives– with a focus on Health Equity, social determinants of Health and Health Disparities.
- Demonstrable skill in maintaining effective advocacy and policy partner relationships and in coalition building.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to develop a vision for Health Equity and Racial Justice and attract support for that vision.
- Deep content knowledge and expertise in Public Health, Health Equity, Racial Justice and Health.
- Comfort with research, policy and data analysis.
- Expertise in the pursuit of civil rights, equity, equality and justice.
- Successful grant writing and grant management experience.
- Experience in education administration, leadership, policy, advocacy, philanthropy or research, inclusive of experience outside of schools and districts.
- Excellent budget management skills, including working effectively with CFOs and senior Finance executives to monitor spending, forecast budgets and make modifications as needed.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills including the ability to translate sophisticated and complex concepts into plain language so that they can be readily understood by both expert, community, youth and general audiences.
- Experience with the design and implementation of demonstration project, pilot and rapid response initiatives and efforts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Mac and Google equivalents.
- Project management experience.
- Fundraising & Partner Relationship Building.
- Asset-based Youth Leadership Development.
- Volunteer recruitment, supervision and engagement for discreet, high-impact projects.
- Vendor & Consultant Management.
- Staff Management and Development.
- Creative, entrepreneurial innovative thinker.
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume and a writing sample by clicking here: http://bit.ly/VPHEALTHEQUITY