Director of Communications
The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and implementing the overall plan of external and internal communications for Vienna Presbyterian Church. In addition to taking the lead in developing VPC’s strategic communications plan, this position is very hands-on, implementing communications projects and initiatives. The successful candidate will feel called to the mission of communicating about bringing people to Christ through the ministry of VPC.
JOB LOCATION: Vienna Presbyterian Church, Vienna, VA
Major tasks, duties and responsibilities; essential functions
- Work with Pastors and other members of church leadership to establish a vision for church communications, create strategies and annual project plans with schedules to implement the strategies, and coordinate execution of those strategies.
- Develop and manage communications content to ensure consistent messaging, draw people to Christ and advance the mission of the church.
- Leverage platforms and resources to connect digitally with our community.
- Oversee and implement all digital platforms including website, social media, Realm, email campaigns, etc., as well as traditional communication platforms such as newsletter, hallway and narthex slides, annual report, church bulletin board, and outdoor sign.
- Create and execute an organization-wide content communications calendar and plan; coordinate with church staff and ministry volunteers to prioritize, streamline and manage congregational communications.
- Be (or become) fully vested in the life of the church by participating in Sunday worship and other programs and events.
- Develop and implement annual strategic communication plan that includes goals, activities, schedules, and performance metrics.
- Provide detailed reports of communications activities, including progress against performance metrics and recommendations for course-correction where appropriate.
- Assist and support individual ministries to develop and implement communication strategies consistent with the broader church communication strategy. For example, stay up to date on best practices in order to suggest strategies for maximizing online worship engagement with both “regulars” and those who may be visiting, inquiring, seeking or browsing.
- Serve as point person for contact with local media.
- A committed and mature Christian who is able and eager to openly articulate faith in Jesus Christ as his/her Lord and Savior.
- Deep love for God and a desire to help others love him too.
- Committed to personal transformation, and willing to participate in and lead others by example and sharing.
- Enthusiastically affirm the values, vision, and mission of VPC and is willing to be guided by them.
- Ability to develop, energize, and mobilize others toward engagement in VPC’s mission through innovative and effective communication strategies.
- At least five years of recent communications experience, both at the strategy level and through demonstrated hands-on experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communications or equivalent experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Facility with a variety of relevant communication styles, from the spoken word to print to social media, as applied to a large intergenerational population.
- Ability to research, find and/or create graphic elements and other media to support messaging, both in worship and in various media channels.
- Demonstrated ability to lead others and to work collaboratively, creatively and collegially with staff, volunteers and others within the VPC community.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment.
- Experience and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, web-based technologies and WordPress.
- Resides locally, in or near Northern Virginia.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated creativity and eye for graphic design.
- Understanding and ability to utilize technology solutions to more quickly and efficiently manage resources needed for key activities.
- Keen ability to network and discover expertise within and beyond the congregation that will benefit and add value to the communications department.
- Experience with change management.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and budget development.
Apply for Director of Communications
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly