Director - Benefits Plus Learning Center
Organization & Program Description:
The Community Service Society (CSS), a leading organization dedicated to alleviating poverty through research, advocacy, litigation, and direct services, seeks a dynamic, technically skilled, and experienced director for its long-established Benefits Plus Learning Center (BPLC). BPLC addresses the myriad difficulties New Yorkers face when navigating the complicated public benefits/housing system. The Center provides intensive training and education, resources, and services on government public benefits and housing systems to social service professionals and providers. The Learning Center partners with hundreds of organizations throughout NYC to ensure that professionals on the front lines have the resources they need to serve their clients more effectively. On an annual basis BPLC trains over 1,200 service providers from 250+ organizations, including nonprofits, universities, and government agencies. The BPLC Director is responsible for the Center’s direction, planning, organization, and operations. The director leads a strong, experienced team of benefits/housing specialists in designing and executing high quality and effective programs and services.
- Manages BPLC program including maintaining a high performing team while providing opportunities for staff development and growth; overseeing the program budget; and reporting on accomplishments for funders and other stakeholders.
- Works with the VP of Program Services and the BPLC program team to assess the Center’s work and set strategic priorities for both the short and long-term based on data driven analytics and projections.
- Personally conducts 18-20 training courses annually and creates, develops, and updates the content for those courses which focus on all Public Health Benefit Programs; Social Security Administration Programs; Unemployment Insurance Benefits; and topics related to Immigrants’ Eligibility for Public Benefits.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of public benefit programs and government resources including but not limited to cash benefits; food programs; health programs; housing programs; immigrants’ eligibility; and advocacy.
- Provides oversight in the creation, development, updating, and execution of all of the Center’s training courses, (55+ trainings conducted annually), which includes the current training portfolio as well as new courses.
- Oversees development and updating of Benefits Plus Online Manual. Maintains and updates content as needed.
- Manages the BPLC budget and identifies the resources needed to meet current and projected program needswhile expanding on revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and program expansion.
- Increases and refines all aspects of program outreach and brand recognition– from web presence to external relations with BPLC funders, government entities and consumer groups.
- Authors requests for proposals, concept and policy papers, annual reports, and compliance reports for NYS Department of Education to maintain status as a CEU provider.
- MA degree in Social Services, Public Administration, or related field required.
- Minimum of five years of experience directing/overseeing nonprofit programs and program staff.
- Expertise on public health insurance programs and thorough knowledge of federal, state, and NYC benefit programs required.
- Strong research, analytical, writing and editing skills required
- Demonstrated public speaking and training experience with a train-the trainer format required
- Fundraising experience and writing funding proposals preferred