Vice President, Major Gifts and Special Events
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Development, the Vice President of Major Gifts and Special Events will be responsible for all contributed income from individual donors and prospects through the management of major gift strategies and through the successful execution of 92Y’s cornerstone fundraising events. The Vice President will be accountable, through the management of a personal portfolio of donors, and the successful leadership of a team of frontline major gifts and special events professionals, for the achievement of contributed revenue goals obtained through major gift solicitations and implementation of special events. The incumbent will be a member of the Senior Development Team with oversight of the Major Gifts and Special Events functions and will work closely with 92Y’s Board and leadership in the implementation of fundraising events.
- Working closely with the SVP, the major gifts and 92Y’s program leadership to implement a comprehensive fundraising plan for individual major gifts.
- Oversee the successful execution of 92Y’s cornerstone fundraising events and collaborate on the implementation of cultivation events and donor receptions in an effort to leverage and maximize contributed revenue through various sources.
- Supervise, motivate and performance manage a team of eight frontline fundraising professionals responsible for major gifts, planned giving and special events, to successfully achieve contributed revenue growth.
- Through active collaboration with programming leadership, develop and maintain a detailed understanding of their plans and programs in order to fully leverage all possible fundraised revenue sources.
- Remain up to date on fundraising trends focusing on the many aspects of gift stewardship including planned giving and donation upgrades.
- Work collaboratively with entire development staff to ensure the maximization of all donor giving opportunities.
- Offer prospect strategy counsel to staff and volunteers where appropriate.
- Perform other duties as related or assigned.
Responsibilities pertaining to Major Gifts:
- Actively solicit and close gifts, at the major gift level, from a portfolio of current and prospective donors, through strategic face-to-face cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, including renewals, upgrades and continuous identification of new major individual donors.
- Work with and support 92Y’s Executive Leadership Team in the identification and completion of solicitations.
- Devise, develop and implement a successful strategy to increase the number of underwritten events across 92Y’s programming portfolio.
- Develop and implement short and long-term strategic plans for significant income growth from donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Attend evening/weekend programs in order to steward/cultivate current and new donors and to encourage and further collaborative fundraising partnerships with key program partners.
- In collaboration with Director of Membership and Donor Relations, continually review the pipeline of lower-level donors for potential expansion of the major gift portfolio, and coordinate on the execution of a number of tailored cultivation events to acknowledge and celebrate current levels of giving as well ensuring continuing support.
Responsibilities pertaining to Special Events:
- Develop and oversee 92Y’s special event strategy and event calendar, ensuring alignment with organizational contributed revenue goals and timelines.
- Responsible for the successful oversight and execution of large scale, high profile events to successfully reach and exceed set financial goals for contributed revenue.
- Oversee the team responsible for executing all aspects of fundraising and event management, including budget oversight, event logistics, coordination and cultivation of benefit committees, and invitee list generation and attendance solicitation.
- Liaise with 92Y Board members in relation to event engagement.
- Identify, cultivate and manage a portfolio of donors from current and previously held events in order to ensure a continuing relationship that maximizes the potential of ongoing future gifts and donations.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 10 (+) years of related Major Gift solicitation and Special Event experience in a fast-paced institution.
- Proven track record of identifying, cultivating, stewarding, soliciting and closing gifts of $10,000+ as well as achieving and exceeding annual goals.
- Proven ability to utilize events as the vehicle for achieving contributed revenue goals.
- Confident leader and mentor able to inspire, motivate and develop a fundraising team including providing and receiving feedback on donor strategies and portfolio development.
- Strong experience and confidence in working and communicating with Board members, donors and high-net-worth individuals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the proven ability to craft persuasive proposals and donor correspondence as well as to engage effectively and appropriately in person.
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards with the ability to act with discretion, self assurance and diplomacy.
- Sound judgment in maintaining strictest of confidentiality of donor information.
- Demonstrate a collegial disposition towards achieving required results with the ability to work positively in a flexible team environment.
- Willingness and desire to attend evening/weekend programming activities in order to cultivate/steward key donors and prospects.