Development Director, Domestic Violence Organization
About My Sister’s Place
My Sister's Place is a community of staff, volunteers, and advocates committed to eradicating domestic violence. As DC’s oldest domestic violence shelter, we have served as a cornerstone of the District's response to this pressing public health issue since 1979.
The Development Director manages all aspects of our fundraising programs, including ongoing donor cultivation, special events and campaigns, donor and funder research, and other fundraising efforts; and is charged with expanding our foundation fundraising. This position reports to the Executive Director, and is full-time and exempt from overtime.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all aspects of development and communications, working with the Executive Director to prospect and solicit individual and corporate gifts, and public and foundation grants; organize and oversee special events; coordinate the annual giving campaign; and design and execute an effective communications blueprint for MSP.
- Manages all aspects of proposals for MSP to all funding sources, both public and private.
- Manages major gifts and donor relations, annual giving, individual and corporate contributions, and government and private grant applications.
- Researches, cultivates, and solicits prospective donors including corporations, religious organizations, civic organizations, and major donors; re-engages lapsed donors, and expands current donor base; collaborates with the Executive Director in building a network of agency supporters.
- Develops and evaluates the effectiveness of various fundraising and communication efforts.
- Develops fundraising and communications plans in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Manages one direct report, the Volunteer Manager and Development Coordinator.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- 6-10 years of nonprofit fundraising experience
- Proven foundation relationship and grant writing experience
- Outstanding written communication is a must, with ability to write for different audiences and types of publications and documents
- Experience and expertise using DonorPerfect is a plus
- Strong computer skills including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Access
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
We offer great benefits, including:
- 100% of employees’ Kaiser medical insurance
- Free dental and vision coverage
- 3% employer match on our Vanguard retirement plan after one year of employment
- Free life insurance and short- and long-term disability coverage
- An Employee Assistance Program for staff and their families
- Generous vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Professional development funds
Please send a cover letter, resume, one to two-page writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for Development Director, Domestic Violence Organization
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly