Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Development, the Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations is responsible for maximizing support from corporations and foundations by developing philanthropic partnerships that deeply engage these organizations. The Director designs, implements and manages a comprehensive and proactive development plan focused on expanding corporate and foundation support at the six- and seven-figure level and higher. The Director develops strong relationships with corporations and foundations and creates mutually beneficial engagement strategies to increase financial support to Stevens. S/he identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards donors to secure funding for institutional priorities.
- Lead development of corporate and foundation philanthropic engagement strategies in alignment with organizational priorities.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward corporate and foundation donors. Build awareness of Stevens and its programs to cultivate new gifts and to renew and increase existing commitments. Close gifts.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of approximately 50+ corporate and foundation donors and prospects, focusing on raising support at the six- and seven-figure levels for campus priorities.
- Serve as a relationship manager to advance the prospect’s philanthropic engagement with Stevens. Initiate and cultivate relationships with senior staff at corporations and foundations.
- Create opportunities for faculty and leaders to interact with corporate and foundation donors and prospects. Plan and execute site visits, including developing briefing materials for university leadership and preparing faculty members and staff for their roles in these visits.
- Develop highly competitive proposals for corporate and foundation donors and prospects. Write and edit proposals and LOIs, monitor proposal deadlines, and manage proposal submissions.
- Maintain excellent relationships with corporate and foundation donors and provide high quality stewardship of their gifts. Ensure that reporting requirements are met and facilitate stewardship activities to enrich the experience of donors and sustain successful partnerships.
- Identify emerging business leadership and industry trends.
- Work collaboratively across campus as part of an integrated corporate relations effort. Partner with colleagues in university relations, sponsored research, career placement, corporate education, and experiential learning to coordinate corporate outreach and relationship management to maximize engagement with Stevens.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with campus leaders, deans, department chairs, faculty, and board members. Involve these leaders in pursuing opportunities for philanthropic support as appropriate.
- Acquire and maintain a solid understanding of the University and its programs.
- Maintain detailed records of prospect contact and solicitation activities in Raiser’s Edge.
7-10 years of development or related experience working in higher education, nonprofit organizations, or the corporate or foundation sectors.
- Outstanding writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated proposal writing experience.
- Highly collaborative and transparent, with the ability to build strong internal and external partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience working with senior staff and trustees.
- Demonstrated experience cultivating and working with diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of the corporate and foundation funding landscape and ability to identify likely funding sources for projects and programs.
- Understanding of corporate and foundation grantmaking processes.
- Understanding of budgets as they relate to programs, proposals and grants.
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize assignments effectively.
- Ability to effectively communicate Stevens’ mission, strategic plan, and case for philanthropic support.
- Ability to inspire cooperation and participation.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Strong interest in Stevens’ mission.
- BS/BA (and MS/MA degree preferred).
- Proficiency in MS Office. Raiser’s Edge experience a plus.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Some travel required.