Development Writer (Technical Writer/Editor)
Development Writer (Technical Writer/Editor) – STA007019
Writes and edits high-level communications, publications and reports with complex technical and/or research-related subject matter, including press releases and news articles for print and web publications. Designs, researches, and writes technical and research related news and feature stories for print and web.
- Determines content materials, selects and researches subjects, conducts interviews and ensures accuracy of facts.
- Plans and edits research and academic themed magazines, publications, websites and electronic newsletters.
- Consults with and leads designers and photographers on overall design, execution and production of publications, including press production, mailing/distribution, posting on the web and targeting of specific audiences.
- Researches university programs for potential story ideas to generate media and public interest; identifies appropriate media outlets for specific story interests; markets story ideas and university information to local and national media outlets.
- Provides support for major college or department initiatives through planning, researching and writing proposals, briefing materials and reports.
- Assists administrators and faculty members with the composition of press statements, communications, and public interviews.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and 5 years experience.
- Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
- Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.
The development writer serves as the lead proposal, report and story writer for the division of advancement. A strong writing background in higher education and/or nonprofit development and fundraising strongly desired. Candidates will be required to submit writing samples and may be asked to complete a writing assignment during the interview process.
The ideal candidate has:
- Demonstrated experience in researching and writing high value and compelling proposals and impact reports.
- Ability to work independently and quickly to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with executive leaders on sensitive projects.
- Writes with consistency in quality, tone and style, following University brand and editorial standards.
- Experience interviewing important constituents and crafting engaging stories and profiles.
- Strong editorial and proofing skills and knowledge of AP Style.
- Passion for higher education and curiosity for new and exciting discoveries.
- Strong belief in the value of diversity and commitment to social equity.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and is highly adaptable to change.
Required Attachments by Candidate
Cover Letter/Letter of Application,Writing Samples,Resume
For additional information, and to apply, please visit our website.
The University of Houston strives to be an employer of choice by offering a full range of benefits to our full-time staff members. Tuition scholarships, a retirement plan, dental and full medical coverage are only a few of the benefits offered to employees at the University of Houston. From our award-winning faculty to our active student body, UH offers the most diverse research university in the country.
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.