Director of Philanthropic Services
It is an exciting time of growth and building as Horizons Foundation launches an ambitious strategic plan that will prioritize overall growth of the foundation while focusing on the most vulnerable of our community. With a new Chief Philanthropy Officer at Horizons Foundation and the reshaping of the Development Team, the incoming Director of Philanthropic Services will have an opportunity to build out and develop the Donor Advised Fund Program. As part of the Development Team, they will contribute to long-term and annual donor revenue goals as well as philanthropic goals for individual donors.
KEY AREAS OF FOCUS
Manage the Donor-Advised Funds (DAF) Program : 70%
- Play a vital role in developing the Donor Advised Fund Program to increase philanthropic activity and further sustain the Bay Area LGBTQ+ community
- Serve as point-person for the program
- Manage a growing portfolio of 150 donor advisors: support their giving; develop grant strategies, guidance, and advising for donor advisors
- Develop impactful giving opportunity materials; create opportunities to learn from grantee partners, ultimately inspiring donor advisors to give generously
- In collaboration with the CPO, develop legacy giving opportunities with and for donor advisors
- Build DAF program through recruitment efforts
- Manage excellent cultivation, stewardship, and client relations with current and new Donor Advisors
- Manage the Professional Advisors Council, working in partnership with the CPO and PAC leadership to manage events, build relationships with professional advisors, and ultimately grow the DAF Program
- Direct relationship-building, cultivation and meetings with current and new professional advisors
- Ensure data systems function smoothly and that data is an ever-present tool for reaching goals, providing superior donor services, and growing resources.
- Manage the DAF email account
Legacy Giving Program Support: 20%
- Build on existing efforts to administer a robust Legacy Giving program, including promotional materials, marketing programs, website content, solicitations
- Design and implement the moves management-based program that ensures potential prospects are continually identified and added to the pipeline, existing prospects are cultivated and solicited, and existing legacy donors receive exceptional stewardship
- In partnership with the CPO, coordinate relationship-building, cultivation and meetings with current and new professional advisors
- Develop working knowledge of planned giving instruments, such as CRTs, CLTs, and annuities. Cultivate and ask an expanding personal portfolio of planned giving donors
Overall program management & evaluation: 10%
- Provide strategic input to overall development program strategy and plans.
- Develop standard reports and dashboards for the development team and ensure data accuracy and integrity in Salesforce
- Support Development Team as needed
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL BE:
- Passionate about Horizons Foundation’s mission with a demonstrated commitment to social justice and familiarity with the social and legal issues impacting the LGBT community, both past and present.
- Superior in customer service skills and have a high level of emotional intelligence: This role will work with a diverse range of donors with varying interests, as well as high level volunteers and Horizons Foundation staff
- An experienced development professional: A minimum of 5 years of experience working directly with high-level donors as an advisor, major gifts officer, development officer, or similar role
- An excellent communicator: Strong writing skills and the ability to convey complex messages in a clear and meaningful way, as well as the ability to address issues clearly and in non-confrontational and non-polarizing ways to a range of diverse audiences
- A multitasker: The right candidate will have the ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines, and work across departments and competing goals and priorities
- Experienced in program development:. Preferably with a history in growing and developing philanthropic/fundraising programs
- Committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as core organizational values and to racial, gender, and social justice, and to authentically articulate a commitment to equity and inclusion by their actions.
- Conscious about our community: Be knowledgeable of our most pressing community issues, have a familiarity of local nonprofit organizations, and come with experience working directly with or for nonprofit/community-based organizations with strong missions
- Strong work ethic, team-oriented, and goal-driven
- A team player: able to work effectively in a diverse workplace; motivate and train volunteers; possess a strong work ethic, be team-oriented and goal driven.
- Resourceful and innovative: bringing an optimistic, can-do, hands-on approach to achieving the most possible with the resources available and responding flexibly as opportunities and events arise.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
The physical demands of this position are light with the expectation that the staff person can exert up to 20lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Light work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree. The position requires frequent computer use at a workstation. Horizons Foundation will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the ADA of 1990. This job description and its physical requirements will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
COMPENSATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time salaried position. Your schedule may vary based on need and could extend at times into the early evening, with some occasional weekend hours. Salary will be determined upon hiring, informed by qualifications and experience, with the mid-point expected to be $100,000, with a generous benefits package that includes full health, vision and dental coverage, vacation, sick leave, significant employer contribution to a 403(b) plan retirement plan, and the pride of working at a critical community institution.
Horizons Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that supports and lives diversity in our staffing and values. We actively seek and welcome applications from people who identify as people of color; women; transgender, gender-conforming, and non-binary; LGBTQ; and people living with disabilities. We comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment, and encourage and seek qualified candidates of all backgrounds.
For full consideration, all application materials should be received by April 18th, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter in a single document outlining your interest, qualifications to the provided email with DIRECTOR OF PHILANTHROPIC SERVICES in the subject line.
Apply for Director of Philanthropic Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly