Finance and Operations Manager
Type Media Center is a non-profit home for independent journalists and authors. Our mission is to produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements, and sparks national and global conversations while transforming and diversifying the fields of journalism and publishing.Finance and Operations Manager at Type Media Center (New York, NY)
Type Media Center is seeking an effective manager who will ensure the smooth operational functioning of a multifaceted nonprofit organization. The ideal candidate will be flexible, well-organized, and enthusiastic about building and maintaining financial and administrative systems.
- Managing organizational databases
- Providing support for Type’s Programs and Events
- Human resources management including on- and off-boarding employees, personnel records, and benefit package administration
- Acting as the point person for the virtual office and physical workspace(s)
- Assisting IT firm with in-house technology and security management
- Working closely with our CFO and Executive Director to build,
maintain and fulfill accounting procedures. This includes:
- Accurately tracking, coding and documenting all revenue- and expense-related transactions
- Maintaining accurate financial records and generating financial reports
- Managing contracting and payments for fellows, reporters, and vendors
Experience and Skills Needed:
- Minimum of 2 years operations or administrative experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Familiarity and ease with technology, management systems and on-line administrative tools
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Keen attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and GSuite
- Knowledge of QuickBooks and nonprofit financial accounting practices
- Knowledge of email marketing systems and social media tools a plus
- Understanding of the media landscape, current events, and nonprofit journalism sector a plus
This is a union position under a collective bargaining agreement with CWA Local 1180.
Comprehensive benefits package including excellent healthcare, vision, and dental coverage; 403b plan; generous paid time-off; voluntary benefits such as FSA, HRA, commuter benefits, life, and disability insurance, and more.
Salary range $60,000-$70,000
The Finance and Operations Manager will report to the Executive Director and the Chief Financial Officer.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Type Media Center is committed to a diverse workplace and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Finance and Operations Manager” in the subject line. Deadline for application is April 15th.
About Type Media Center:
Founded in 1966 (as The Nation Institute), Type Media Center is home to a half-dozen programs and a community of hundreds of journalists, authors, and writing fellows. Our dynamic range of programs includes a bestselling book publishing imprint, Bold Type Books (formerly known as Nation Books); our award-winning Type Investigations (formerly known as the Investigative Fund), which supports groundbreaking investigative journalism; TomDispatch, the widely read and syndicated website; Fellowships that fund over 20 high-profile reporters every year; Prize programs that spotlight the invaluable achievements of others; and high-profile events that provide a platform for journalists, thinkers, and activists to discuss the urgent and important issues of our time.
Apply for Finance and Operations Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly