Director of Operations & Finance
Job Title Director of Operations & Finance
Reports to CEO
Status Full Time
FLSA Status (OT eligibility) Exempt
Location New York
The Director of Operations & Finance has the primary responsibility of ensuring the effective and efficient operational and financial functions of Perspective. We are looking to hire an experienced, process-oriented operations leader who has a passion for social impact to join our team. As the right hand to our CEO, you will be responsible for the day-to-day running of our foundation, ensuring effective and efficient operational and financial functions of Perspective, including our grant-making operations. You will also work hand in hand with the CEO and the team to collectively define and cultivate a collaborative and inclusive culture that helps our team achieve our goals and drive meaningful impact across the board.
The Director leads the development of Perspective’s operational plan rooted in the fund’s emerging priorities and strategic approach. The Director will collaborate with the CEO on organizational strategic planning and implementation and will work cross-departmentally in operational strategic decision-making and organizational planning as Perspective continues to grow.
WHO WE ARE
PERSPECTIVE is a private foundation that funds storytelling and media to shape and alter our perspectives and shepherd the waves of popular opinion toward equity, justice, and human rights. That’s why we support powerful documentaries, visionary media makers, and cutting-edge organizations that are creatively and strategically using storytelling to advance social change.
At PERSPECTIVE, we aim to build a thriving ecosystem of storytellers and cultural strategists that have the tools, knowledge, and resources to advance social change.
As the Director of Operations and Finance, you are ultimately responsible for building and maintaining the infrastructure and systems needed for Perspective to successfully scale. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Operational Leadership & Goal Setting
- Along with CEO and program staff, design the workflow and timeline of the strategic planning sessions to support impact-oriented culture, and ensure the process is moving smoothly
- Establish an operations plan that maps to the strategic plan and priorities, and provides a clear project management pipeline for the operations functions
- Lead operationalization of systems and increasing organizational efficiency
People Leadership and Support
- Oversee the Professional Employer Organization, including benefits and payroll, annual renewals of health care plans, retirement plans, and serve as chief liaison with external vendors
- Execute and oversee organization-wide recruitment, onboarding, and performance management practices
- Enhances the organization’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices.
- Support team’s learning and professional development opportunities, conflict resolution, etc.
- Oversee budgeting, financial analysis and cash flow management processes
- Managing Payroll, Accounts Payable, Internal Controls & Financial Reporting
- Build and oversee grantmaking operations and ensure successful implementation of PF’s administration processes
- Explore, vet, and negotiate agreements for funding mechanisms (e.g. DAFs, PRIs, Fiscal Sponsors, etc.)
Legal & Compliance
- Coordinate with external counsel to ensure grants and legal compliance across all Perspective’s portfolios
- Provide management and oversight to the General Counsel in their review of key contracts and grant agreements (e.g., agreements with donor-advised funds, leases, consultant agreements, key forms)
- Ensure grantmaking workflow includes all financial and legal due diligence on all funding opportunities
Board Reporting & Strategy
- Ensure board documents are drafted and provided in advance
- Coordinate with program staff to present to Grant Making Committee
- Support the CEO with the implementation of technology plan (including phones and communications) in a way that is customer-oriented and mindful of how Perspective staff do their jobs
- Oversee communications consultants, and ensure consistent implementation across the organization
- Support the team with the production of annual reports
CAPABILITIES & VALUES
- High achievement orientation; goal-oriented with a strong ownership mentality; willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to achieve goals
- Agile & strategic thinker who is able to see the big picture as well as map out the details to achieve goals
- Results-oriented project manager who can map out plans to achieve goals and keeps the trains running on time with little oversight
- Successful leader with exceptional interpersonal skills / EQ with the ability to manage up, down, and laterally and collaborate and build relationships across the business
- Analytical thinker with strong quantitative skills; able to break down problems into their aggregate parts and analyze and use data to drive operations decisions
- Proactive and entrepreneurial; you have passion, drive and are not afraid to take risks; you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic growth environment
- Multi-tasker and proactive prioritizer; you are happiest when you are working on many things at once, yet are able to sort through the important from the unimportant
- Humble but a strong sense of self; ability to hold others accountable to achieve goals and enough gumption and gravitas to have a seat at the table
- Passion for social impact and driving positive change
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 7+ years of experience in operations or project management leadership roles in a non-profit or high-intensity environment
- Comfort with finance from understanding how to read a balance sheet, to understanding the difference between volume variance and spending variance
- MBA a plus, but not required
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
PERSPECTIVE’S CULTURE OF RESPECT, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND BELONGING
Perspective Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcomes such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity and inclusion that we seek through our work to amplify in the larger world.
We hire, promote and retain staff based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundation’s service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law, e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.
HOW TO APPLY:
For employment consideration, please submit your application to email@example.com with the subject line “[Your name] – Perspective Fund -- Director of Operations & Finance”. All applications must include:
- a resumé (PDF);
- a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity and minimum
salary requirements; and
- two (2) writing samples attached in PDF format
A writing test may be administered. Please advise if you require any accommodations.
Deadline: April 18, 2021.
Apply for Director of Operations & Finance
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly