Senior Manager, Principal Gifts Writing
Our Mission: increase investment and participation in 4‑H programs so we can support the next generation of true young leaders. National 4‑H Council (Council) is committed to providing leadership and resources so that 4‑H programs are available to youth across the US. Our executive leadership team and Board of Trustees are dedicated to the belief that helping kids achieve their boldest dreams empowers not only them but also our communities to thrive today, tomorrow, and beyond. Council supports national and state 4‑H programs with a focus on fundraising, brand management, communications, and legal and fiduciary services. Council also oversees the National 4‑H Conference Center, and the National 4‑H Supply Service, the authorized agent for items bearing the 4‑H Name and Emblem.
Council seeks a dynamic Senior Manager, Principal Gifts Writing to support the Resource Development (RD) team with the creation of high-impact, compelling concept papers and proposals to strengthen 4-H’s fundraising initiatives across our corporate and foundation prospects and donors at the $500K+ level. The Senior Manager will work closely with internal and external clients to understand 4-H’s complex system, external landscape and industry trends, programmatic areas, and the donor’s interests. Additionally, the Senior Manager will be responsible for stewarding donors at the $500K+ level by developing mid-term and final reports and other documents as needed. On a broader scale, the Senior Manager may also write organization-wide documents, such as strategic plans and case statements for support.
In response to COVID-19, all positions are currently temporarily remote.
Proposal Writing & Reporting
- Responsible for writing compelling concepts and proposals in support of 4-H’s aggressive fundraising efforts across multiple platforms – Agriculture, Healthy Living, STEM, Civic Engagement, and more.
- Write proposals, letters of inquiry, and concept papers for corporate and foundation partners and prospects consistent with 4-H’s values and goals.
- Develop mid-term and final reports to synthesize large volumes of content into compelling partnership impact reports.
- Project manage the proposal development process across multiple stakeholders and teams within Council.
- Edit and re-write portions of technical documents, case statements, and other strategic papers with content support from other team members.
- Maintain electronic library for proposals and template language to ensure the information is organized and current.
- Edit various written documents to ensure grammar and structure conforms to 4-H’s style guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, business, marketing, related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Seven+ years of non-profit experience crafting proposals for corporate, foundation, and major gift prospects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of non-profit proposal development writing.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook), specifically with style, formatting, and professional presentation of written material; and creative technical writing and marketing.
- Proficiency with Stratus Live, or similar CRM software, preferred.
- Must be able to perform in a team-oriented environment, have strong organizational skills and operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple project deadlines and deliverables.
Position typically has the following Career Ladder:
- Director, Principal Gifts Writing