Deputy Director of Development
Deputy Director of Development
Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco
Exempt, Full-time position
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) seeks to fill a new Deputy Director of Development position. This role will play a key internal leadership role in Advancing Justice- ALC’s development efforts by partnering with the Development Director to lead the annual development program and manage key elements of the fundraising plan. These include implementation of the special events strategy; direct mail program and online giving efforts; donor and constituent communication, management of government and foundation grants, and development operations. The ability to connect with the mission, vision, and values of Advancing Justice-ALC is vital; familiarity with the issues we work on is a plus. This position calls for a highly organized development professional with strong interpersonal, written, and verbal skills. We seek a highly resourceful team leader.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s first legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Workers’ Rights, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, and Voting Rights. A growing staff of 46 provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights. Currently, all Advancing Justice- ALC employees are working remotely. Applicants should be aware that this position will be temporarily remote. It is anticipated that the AdvancingJustice-ALC’s office, located in Downtown San Francisco will reopen in 2021 at which time employees will return, with some flexibility.
- Provide strategic thought partnership and support to the Development Director in creating a long-term agency fundraising plan.
- Oversee strategy and planning for Advancing Justice-ALC’s special events, including annual anniversary galas (the 49th-anniversary event is targeted for May 2021, the 50th-anniversary event in 2022). Ensure successful implementation of logistics and planning for events working with Development staff and an outside event planning vendor. Ensure focus on revenue generation and donor engagement/cultivation through event strategies including corporate, law firm, and individual sponsorships
- Oversee individual giving and planned giving programs helping to develop theme, messages, strategy, write copy, develop revenue and expense projections, analyze efforts and make recommendations for future solicitations based on results.
- Manage current government contracts and grants (state, local, and national), oversee and inform the collection of relevant program data, writing reports, and liaising with representatives of government funding entities. Also, scan the environment for opportunities and take the lead in writing and assembling applications in this area.
- Supervise three (3) staff, including the Grants Manager and the Director of Alumni Relations.
- Oversee internal operations, ensuring that the department functions smoothly and supports each member’s best efforts in strengthening infrastructure, raising revenue, and cultivating and stewarding Advancing Justice-ALC donors and stakeholders.
- BA or BS preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of broad development experience and a proven track record of fundraising success.
- Ability to assess fundraising needs and activities, and plan a long-term fundraising strategy.
- Strong volunteer and staff management skills.
- Experience with fundraising events, donor solicitation and cultivation strategies, direct mail, and social media required.
- Experience with government grants writing and management.
- Strong planning and project management skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention-to-details.
- Expertise with Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), fundraising software such as Mobile Cause and Salesforce.
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential material.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to make effective and persuasive verbal and written presentations to volunteers, staff, sector peers, board members, donors, and others.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with others at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Some travel and flexibility in working hours for donor events are required.
Interested candidates should submit via email to email@example.com (as PDF attachments), including the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Writing sample (no more than 5 pages)
- Three professional references
Please indicate “Deputy Development Director” in the subject line.