Business Services Specialist, MD 4-H Foundation
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Maryland 4-H Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds and manages financial resources for youth development through 4-H programs in Maryland. The 4-H program and foundation are housed at the University of Maryland, a land grant institution. This position provides day-to-day office management and administrative assistance for the Maryland 4-H Foundation. Among other duties as outlined below, the individual in this position plays a key role in maintaining financial records and management of program income and expenses related to 4-H. This person also has high contact with 4-H clientele.
- Responsible for administering accounting and financial functions including budgeting and record keeping.
- Ensures that processes for managing functions such as Accounts receivable, invoices, check disbursements, bank deposits and bank reconciliations are timely and accurate.
- Provides timely and accurate financial reports for Foundation management, Board, and stakeholders
- Direct responsibility for all external filings including the annual IRS Form 990, IRS General Exemption Number update, and relevant charity organizations
- Provides support for 4-H Clubs’ financial management
- General office support for Maryland 4-H Center (greeter, phone, office support, etc.)
- Leads the development of and reporting on the annual budget. Maintains Foundation and Center program budgets (for accounts held within Foundation only), works with faculty to prepare budget for submission for 4-H Foundation board for approval. Analyzes areas of expenditures and revenues, identifies, and works to resolve problem areas.
- Responsible for preparing bank deposits and disbursement requests, processing credit card transactions, reconciling all accounts and recording all data in QuickBooks to include revenue and expenses related to donor gifts, grants, fundraising events, and program related events and assuring allocation to correct accounts
- Issues invoices & monitors payments. Resolves discrepancies with vendors or service providers.
- Receives and reviews investment communications. Updates internal investment spreadsheet monthly.
Club and program support:
- Prepares cash advances for all statewide 4-H youth development trips. Reconciles expense reports for each trip in coordination with specific trip coordinators.
- Advises on club financial management practices. Issues club bank letters or oversees bank letter process.
- Collects & reviews annual financial spreadsheets from the counties for every club or affiliated group of the Foundation’s General Exemption Number (GEN).
- Expert on Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) for clubs and affiliate groups. Liaison for counties/clubs/affiliate groups to IRS. Assist with any IRS related issues for any of Foundation’s GEN subordinates.
- Oversight and monthly reconciliation of Foundation’s KFS account(s).
- Under direction of Executive Director/Development Officer maintains donor database and data integrity by timely recording all donor contributions and interactions.
- Prepares monthly financial statements for the Foundation and Center.
- Prepares and sends quarterly reports to endowment donors.
- Responsible for filing annual IRS GEN filing based on results of annual financial spreadsheets from counties and in consultation with Maryland 4-H Online Manager/overseer or club chartering process.
- Prepares, with assistance of external accountant, tax filings including annual 1099s and property tax filings.
- Provides Foundation support to auditors for annual external audit and completion and filing of IRS Form 990.
- Responsible for completing or renewing annual charity filings – Combined Federal Campaign, Maryland Charity Campaign, annual Maryland Secretary of State Update, annual SAMS renewal.
- Works with coordinators (staff and volunteers) of annual 4-H
Foundation events to include:
- accepting revenue and managing related processes
- preparing payments for all event related expenses
- reconciles budgets for each event
- assists with event committee meetings and activities as needed
- Grant Management – assists in preparing applications for new and renewing grants & contracts, develops and reviews budgets related to grants. Assists in managing grants within University policy & grant requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- Six years progressively responsible experience in a combination of budgeting, accounting, payroll, purchasing, and personnel work.
- This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
- Training and experience in non-profit financial accounting
- Demonstrated experience and competency with QuickBooks online, preparation of financial reports, and Microsoft Excel
- Experience in an organization of similar size, scope, and complexity
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to work collaboratively and communicate with multiple audiences
Physical Demands of the Position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Nature of the Position: This position frequently presents information through vocal and written communication to individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Physical Demands: The employee will occasionally lift and/or move items weighing up to 20 pounds. This position is sedentary in nature.
- Environmental: Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Deadline driven in terms of program planning and reporting.
- Visual Acuity: Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data and presentations.
Salary & Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience starting at $42,486.00. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Applications: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/81983
Closing Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2021