Managing Director, Philanthropic and Political Advising
Who We Are Looking For: Impactual seeks an enthusiastic self-starter that has a passion for politics, philanthropy, and making a difference. At Impactual, everyone plays a role in accelerating impact. This exciting position calls for a dynamic and strategic thought leader with long standing engagement in politics, democracy, and movement building who is eager to leverage their expertise to support donors achieve lasting, measurable impact.
As a Managing Director at Impactual, you will report to the firm’s president and work with our firm’s partners, other staff, and clients to devise and deploy innovative strategies at the intersection of culture and social change. In this role, you will lead our Philanthropic and Political Advising team, working with our individual, family office, and foundation clients to develop, implement and evaluate campaigns that produce positive policy and political change. In addition, as a member of the Senior Management Team, you will support overall team coordination and contribute to the strategic growth of the firm.
About Us: Impactual LLC is a social impact consulting firm. We help causes, philanthropists and brands address some of the most pressing political and social challenges. Our clients include individual and institutional philanthropists, Fortune 500 companies, and high-impact nonprofits.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Philanthropic and Political Advising
- Oversee a portfolio of individual, family office, and foundation clients to support the development and implementation of philanthropic and political giving strategies to achieve their long term social impact goals.
- Develop and maintain trusted advisor relationships with clients and relevant stakeholders, acting as the senior point of contact for critical communication and engagement.
- Oversee client project teams to ensure we provide superior service to support renewal and growth of clients, troubleshooting any project management, strategic, or other issues that may arise with clients and/or their service delivery.
- Oversee the development of all client-facing deliverables, including pitch decks, reports, presentations, memos and correspondence. Drive the preparation of regular giving strategy memos that share updated research and recommendations for giving as well as reports that provide an overview of client’s contributions. Ensure all work developed meets Impactual’s quality control standards including proper grammar, proper formatting, integrity, and originality.
- Represent and/or staff clients in meetings and events related to their philanthropic, political, and civic activities. Participate in meetings with those seeking funding to help evaluate opportunities. Provide recommendations to clients on how to respond to email solicitations and meeting requests.
- Monitor the nonprofit civic engagement ecosystem, political landscape, and specific issue areas to identify funding needs and make informed funding recommendations to clients. Research and synthesize political giving opportunities including federal and statewide candidates, committee activities, ballot measures, and PAC activities. Evaluate program plans/budgets and conduct due diligence on potential grantees or partners. Monitor progress of funding recipients to evaluate additional giving opportunities;
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders in the ecosystem, including but not limited to nonprofit staff and board members, peer stakeholders, elected officials, candidates, committees, PACs, and media to ensure we are well-positioned to provide recommendations and meet our clients’ key objectives.
- Firm Strategy and Management
- Contribute to the development of Impactual’s strategic plan and ensure success in meeting annual goals related to the Philanthropic and Political Advising Team.
- Support the firm’s business development and marketing efforts to raise the profile of our work and attract new clients and projects.
- Supervise staff and collaborate with the senior management team to ensure a balanced and full work-load across staff, including exploring hiring or subcontracting as needed to complete client projects.
- Support development of healthy internal culture rooted in Impactual values, proactively identifying opportunities for values advancement, and working with partners and senior management team to identify and address challenges.
- Special Projects.
- Impactual is a small firm and we’re an all-hands-on-deck team. As a senior team member in a dynamic environment, this individual will be expected to lead and support special projects, including high level events, participation in coalitions or working groups, etc. This role will be responsible for other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate:
- A seasoned strategist. You have 7-10 years of experience developing complex, executable, and well-thought-out strategies. Others easily understand your thinking and get excited about your ideas. You dream big, and you channel that creativity through to a concrete plan. You are familiar with what it takes to build and execute new initiatives from scratch. You have a deep understanding of and familiarity with large-scale national and state political plans, and a strong understanding of various tax and legal statuses and their potential for long-term power building.
- A clear communicator and trusted advisor. You are an approachable, active listener who shares information and advice with clients, partners, and staff in a way that is clear, useful and inspires trust and confidence.You nurture relationships and can work and communicate well with all kinds of people. You are optimistic, curious, and well-respected by all who work with you, irrespective of title. And you have the ability to work with people of different backgrounds and create a work environment necessary to drive positive social change. You have excellent oral and written communication skills. You can craft high-quality proposals and presentations, clearly explain complex concepts, and combine intellect and intuition.
- An ability to get things done. You are solutions-oriented, a problem-solver looking for the best solution to whatever challenge you’re confronted with. You can work independently within deadlines and balance a variety of projects, and proactively look for ways to offer support and be of use. You are a master organizer and planner and consistently look ahead to anticipate needs before they arise.
Location: Impactual has an office in Washington, DC that is closed for the duration of 2021, as well as staff who are fully-remote. You may be expected to work from the office when open if DC-based, but we are open to a fully-remote candidate.
Compensation and Benefits: Impactual aims to be a responsible and supportive employer and cultivate a fun and inclusive work environment. The salary for this full-time, non-exempt position is $110,000-170,000, depending on experience level. Benefits include:
Nine paid holidays, plus the week
between Christmas and New Years;
Generous paid vacation and sick
leave, as well as paid extended parental and family leave;
Health insurance QSEHRA
Monthly cell phone stipend;
Monthly health and wellness
Equal Opportunity Employer: Impactual is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state, or federal law.