Director, Advancement Insights
The Advancement team cultivates, solicits, and stewards
individuals, as well as foundation, government and corporate
partners who invest in the Society to drive impact through science,
technology, education, exploration, and storytelling. The team
collaborates with Society teams – and often works closely with
NGP/Disney – to build transformative and impact-driven strategic
partnerships. The team also produces global events that deepen
connections and leverage the Society’s power to convene, and
directs robust annual, major and planned giving programs empowering
the Society with a broad base of public support.
The Director of Advancement Insights is responsible for developing reports, dashboards, analytics, modeling and processes to promote effective and efficient fundraising ensuring that advancement strategy is informed by sound data insights, and for managing, analyzing, and driving all prospect development efforts to help meet fundraising goals. This position will help to develop and maintain portfolios, prospect management reports, strategy briefings and profiles, prospect interests, and suggest fundraising targets and strategies to the fundraising team based on analysis of research findings to support principal, major and annual giving frontline fundraising efforts and extend institutional relationships.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of reports to track Advancement progress, pipeline and prospect activity to share with Advancement team and external partners including NGS Finance, NGS Board of Trustees and NGS Senior Leadership Team.
- Develop, manage and support Advancement analytics efforts to drive strategic fundraising processes around overall and individual performance, benchmarking and predictive modeling.
- Keep up-to-date on emerging trends and technologies to meet current and future needs of fast paced, high performing NGS Advancement team.
- Proactively identify, evaluate and monitor prospects through the continuous review and analysis of business publications, online services, annual questionnaires, internal data, third party data enhancement services, and other sources.
- Employ advanced analytical techniques by developing new forecasting data models and prospect ranking tools, and developing new strategies for mining prospects from databases to support fundraising goals and objectives.
- Partner with frontline fundraisers in creating, building, and managing portfolios and a robust prospect pipeline to support fundraising goals and objectives. Provide data, research, and historical context to enhance the collaboration of frontline officers in creating strategic partnerships for the identification and cultivation of campaign, principal, major, planned, and annual gift prospects.
- Initiate regular strategy meetings with front line officers, providing reports, information, and guidance to facilitate discussion and collaboration in managing portfolios.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Advancement Operations Data and Systems, as well as Technology and Measurement, Evaluation, and Research teams to ensure Enterprise-wide business intelligence consistency.
- Build and manage a high-performing team by creating benchmarks, processes, evaluating and solving for resource gaps, mentoring and meeting defined goals.
- Optimize and manage relationships with vendors.
- Develop and maintain up to date policy and documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Formal instruction in or knowledge of business, financial analysis, statistical methods, information systems, techniques of corporate and biographical research and report writing. Ability to solve data interface problems independently, prioritize multiple projects, and design innovative reporting solutions.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including ability to analyze and interpret business and financial data and information
- Demonstrated skill in employee supervision. Ability to set clear expectations and goals and provide feedback that improves performance and motivates a team.
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds, training, and experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work across a complex organization, and to provide leadership and coaching to staff members.
- Experience managing the reporting for diverse, mid to large size nonprofit fundraising programs.
- Skill in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a goal-oriented team environment.
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge, or other fundraising database preferred.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment independently when responding to inquiries and interacting with donors, alumni, volunteers and staff.
- Strong personal and professional integrity.