Windward Fund Director (Annual Fund)
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Windward Fund Director
The Windward School is currently seeking an annual fund director. The Windward Fund Director is a self-directed, goal-driven individual who serves as a core member of the Advancement team. This multicampus role with a home office in White Plains, NY will lead annual fund giving initiatives at The Windward School and reports to the Associate Director of Development.
Qualified candidates should not only have the experience and expertise listed below also:
- A deep understanding of and a passion to support The Windward School’s mission
- A readiness to embody Windward’s core values of commitment, growth, impact and community
- Display a proven commitment to DEI (diversity, equity & inclusion) work and fostering an inclusive culturally competent school environment
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Associate Director of Development and Director of Development to establish Windward Fund goals, strategies, timelines, segmentations, and performance metrics with the goal of increasing unrestricted support among all key constituencies.
- Composes original, compelling, and well-crafted appeal language, and collaborates with graphic design partners to achieve visually engaging letters, postcards, e-blasts, reports, and other fundraisingmaterials
- Prioritizes donor cultivation and stewardship to ensure that donor prospects and existing donors receive frequent, meaningful information and opportunities to engage with Windward— all with the aim of increasing participation and donor retention
- Cultivates, solicits, and stewards an appropriately sized portfolio of prospective and current Westchester donors, building and maintaining excellent relationships
- Secures gifts of $3,000 and higher and works to increaseparticipation, renewal, and upgrade rates
- Leads the Windward Fund volunteer team and recruits, trains, and cultivates volunteers across all campuses and grade levels with a specific focus on the Westchester Lower and Middle Schools
- Manages the fundraising budget and revenue projections in concert with the Associate Director of Development
- Prepares reports as directed by the Associate Director of Development
- Supervises, mentors and evaluates the performance of the Manhattan Windward Fund Associate
- Attends fundraising cultivation and stewardship events as requested by senior Advancement staff
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree, with Master’s degree preferred
- 5 - 7 years of professional experience in fundraising with a track record of success; specific experience in individual giving and/or major gifts and working with volunteer leadership preferred
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience developing fundraising appeals and materials
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills; capable of working effectively with donors/prospects, volunteers, faculty/staff members, senior leadership, and consultants
- Energetic, self-motivated, flexible, and adaptable; an effective relationship-builder
- A strategic thought partner with an attitude of service and ability to motivate others
- Computer fluency in Microsoft Office, donor database software, web applications, and knowledgeable about the role of technology and electronic communication in fundraising
The Windward School is the preeminent school for the remediation of language-based learning disabilities for students in Grades 1-9. Through a multisensory, direct instruction curriculum, Windward helps students thrive academically, while enabling them to understand their learning styles, build confidence, and develop self-advocacy skills.
The Windward School's vision is a world where every child with a language-based learning disability is empowered to achieve unlimited success.
Windward currently employs more than 450 faculty and staff members across four divisions and three campuses, giving employees a small, tight-knit community at their campus while feeling part of a larger organization. Two Westchester campuses are located in White Plains, NY, and the Manhattan campus is located on the Upper East Side. Due to COVID, we have a temporary campus for our Manhattan Lower School on the Upper West Side.
The Windward School also has two divisions that support its mission — The Windward Teaching Training Program and The Windward Institute.
- The renowned Windward Teacher Training Program recruits, hires, trains, mentors, and retains teachers at The Windward School.
- The Windward Institute offers professional development to all educators, forms partnerships with research and educational institutions, and advocates for students with language-based learning disabilities.
The Windward School truly transforms students' lives, and our faculty and staff all contribute daily to the School's mission. The friendly, hard-working, and collegial Windward community provides a supportive professional environment in which all members are encouraged to develop into outstanding educational professionals.
The School is an independent, coeducational day school dedicated to providing an excellent instructional program for children with language-based learning disabilities. The multisensory curriculum is designed for students of average to superior intelligence who can benefit from the unique educational experience provided. Through direct instruction in small class settings, a trained staff assists students to improve their language skills. Academic success, combined with opportunities for social and emotional growth, enables students to understand their learning styles, build confidence, and develop self-advocacy skills. Windward is committed to helping students achieve their full potential in preparation for a successful return to the mainstream educational environment. To meet these goals, the School provides ongoing training to its faculty based on the most current research and also shares its expertise with the parent body, other educators, and the broader community.