Sr. Director, Government Relations
The most important qualification for all Maryland Food Bank
is their commitment to our mission: “Feeding people, strengthening communities,
and ending hunger for more Marylanders.”
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Maryland Food Bank (MFB) is committed to advancing policy solutions to help provide a path to a healthy, hunger-free future for all Marylanders. MFB is currently seeking a Sr. Director, Government Relations to develop MFB’s annual policy agenda and lead the implementation of state and local strategies that address food insecurity and its root causes. MFB is committed to advocating for policy and systems change, and eliminating the barriers and inequalities that can lead to food insecurity.
The Sr. Director will be a subject-matter expert and hands-on leader who establishes, enhances, and secures access to new public sector resources for MFB and its Partner Network as well as builds upon funding already in place. Additionally, they will strengthen MFB’s presence, reputation, and relationships among and across federal, state, and local policy leaders and staff.
The Maryland Food Bank is in a period of dynamic growth and expansion in its strategy, vision, and mission. This is a new leadership position that reports to the EVP, Chief Strategy Officer.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set the direction and build MFB’s policy agenda, raise the visibility of policy positions, and influence Maryland’s related policies and programs
- Develop policy positions and implement advocacy strategies in the areas of food security and nutrition as well as the root causes of hunger
- Identify new and manage existing public funding streams to increase impact and revenues, including MFB’s relationship with the Maryland Department of Human Services
- Maintain and build strong and effective relationships with government officials at both the State and local levels while also engaging other stakeholders inside the policy ecosystem
- Advise MFB leadership on risks and opportunities stemming from policy developments and government initiatives, and recommend appropriate positions and responses
Research, formulate, and implement advocacy strategies
- Generate and/or formalize MFB position statements and responses for internal and external communication
- Meet with public agency executives and decision makers to build alliances
- Demonstrate capacity to augment strategies or alter them entirely, in light of continuing or changing circumstances
- Coordinate advocacy efforts with Feeding America and other food banks as appropriate
Monitor legislative process, policy, and public services
- Track elections and legislation
- Write and submit comments pertinent to proposed administrative and regulatory action
- Draft and deliver testimony
Build relationships with elected officials and key stakeholders to advance MFB’s policy and programmatic agenda
- Communicate with and educate elected officials, career bureaucrats, and/or their staff, arrange meetings, food bank tours, etc.
- Serve as MFB’s primary liaison to elected/appointed leaders and public sector staff
- Position the Maryland Food Bank as the “first source” for elected officials and other stakeholders interested in learning about hunger in Maryland and related information
Mobilizing and Developing Key Constituencies
- Provide news and action updates that allow volunteers, staff, Network Partners, and Board members to advocate in support of MFB policy positions
- Deliver presentations on the role of food banks in advocacy, the current state of affairs, plan of action for current year, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education. Advanced degree preferred
- Five to seven years of effective experience in public policy and government affairs, including leadership roles
- Knowledge of food insecurity and related public policy preferred
- Extensive experience in development and implementation of public policy strategy
- Excellent research skills with the ability to analyze, synthesize and communicate complex information.
- Excellent collaborative leadership skills, and interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Commitment to understand and support MFB’s mission, vision, and effective actions to end food insecurity and its causes