Director of Philanthropy
Spruce Peak Arts is looking for a skilled development professional to help the organization build on a multi-faceted fundraising program while significantly growing new areas of philanthropy, especially major gifts. The successful candidate for this new position will oversee all aspects of development, from direct mail to special events, and work closely with the Executive Director to advance the organization.
Spruce Peak Arts is dedicated to using the brilliance and creativity of the performing arts to inspire, educate and entertain. Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center delivers engaging experiences for all ages that connect us with the performing arts in deep, meaningful, and delightful ways through a variety of performing arts and educational and family programs at the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center in Stowe, VT. Opened in December 2010, this 420-seat multi-use theatre is a modern performance center and boasts pristine acoustics and state of the art technical systems.
Successful candidate must demonstrate an interest in all facets of our programs and a sincere willingness to collaborate with staff and board members on a range of projects. The Director of Philanthropy will be one of a small team of dedicated people who, above all, ensure that Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center attendees, supporters, volunteers, students, artists, and friends have a positive, seamless, and creative experience. This position requires exceptional organizational skills, flexibility, ability to navigate ambiguity, strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative nature, an entrepreneurial approach, and passion for the performing arts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Major Gifts and Annual Fund
- Primary area of focus is to refine, develop, and execute fundraising strategies for Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center’s annual fund campaign, which will include working with an established donor pool in addition to researching and curating prospects, devising and implementing cultivation strategies, and soliciting new donors.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with donors; identify and initiate new opportunities to expand the foundation, corporate, and individual donor base.
- Steward existing major gift prospects while cultivating a new pool of major donors.
- Develop effective working relationships with Executive Director, and the Board of Directors; actively engage board leadership, board members and community volunteers in the development, training, endorsement, and implementation of annual fundraising plans.
- Oversee the development functions in partnership with the Executive Director, designing and implement a diversified fundraising plan to prepare the organization to meet ambitious fundraising goals for general operating support and special projects or programs.
- This role will require you to travel to meet with donors and attend cultivation events.
Foundation and Corporate Giving
- Develop, implement, and achieve strategic plans to increase philanthropic support for Spruce Peak Arts. The Director of Philanthropy is directly responsible for securing and increasing financial support from corporate and foundation sources to support the annual giving program, fundraising events, and special campaigns.
- Handle logistics and planning for annua gala and smaller events that may occur throughout the year.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- 5 to 7-plus years of progressive development experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in growing philanthropic revenue year over year
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with major donors, board members, corporations and foundations
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Goal and action-oriented and able to take the initiative without close supervision
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Comfortable being a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Spruce Peak Arts
- High energy and passion for Spruce Peak Art’s mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience managing staff
- Strong database management skills including data entry, query building, and reports with experience using development software (Spruce Peak Arts uses PatronManager).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to navigate stairs and lift up to 35 pounds in the course of day-to-day business.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends