Director of Advancement
Supervisor: Chief Advancement Officer
Do you have a passion for social justice? Sojourners has an immediate opening for a Director of Advancement to serve on our advancement team. The successful candidate will be curious, driven, organized, a Raiser’s Edge power user, and a firm believer in the importance of quality data and systems management. Knowledge of both fundraising operations as well as strategizing front-line multi-channel fundraising strategies for <$1,000 donors will be key to this role. This role will report to the Chief Advancement Officer and manages the Director of Individual Giving as well as the Donor Services Team, which includes the Donor Services and Database Manager as well as a Donor Services Assistant.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the Director of Individual Giving who leads multi-channel fundraising for donors giving <$1,000 per year and provide strategic guidance through data-driven analysis and insights to grow this $1.2M revenue area.
- Supervise the Donor Services and Database Manager in the work of receiving, processing, and acknowledging all contributions and responding to donors’ questions and concerns.
- Supervision of these team members will include support in achieving their goals through collaboration, mentorship, and professional development.
- Manage use of the donor database software system (Raiser’s Edge), including oversight of protocols, data entry, and data integrity.
- Oversee online donation processes through our email provider Engaging Networks and serve as a primary point of contact for merchant services provider IATS.
- Provide finance department with monthly reports for purposes of reconciliation of the donor database to general ledger.
- Lead the advancement team through the annual audit process, preparing reports and communicating with the CFO as needed.
- Project manage in-house mailings.
- Lead departmental budgeting process.
- Update and maintain standard operating procedure manuals and run point on creation of new processes when needed.
Data Management, Analysis, Reporting
- Oversee data health projects.
- Support the Major Gifts program and Chief Advancement Officer including, a) regular report of top 500 donors and assist with ensuring notes/actions are entered on a timely basis, and b) coordinating data needs of staff.
- Support the advancement team with data-driven analysis and insights including developing a series of dashboard reports for the Chief Advancement officer to analyze donor and giving patterns.
- Work on special projects as assigned by Chief Advancement Officer.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 5 years’ experience with Raiser’s Edge.
- Experience with online fundraising platforms.
- Experience creating systems to share information between databases.
- Experience with creating and customizing reports.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Record of leading and managing a successful multi-channel fundraising program for <$1,000 donors with experience in online fundraising and direct mail.
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple sources of data and meticulous attention to detail required.
- Enthusiasm about working collaboratively in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Team player with a can-do attitude and a passion for our shared work as an organization.
- Embodiment of our organizational values of teamwork and optimism.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and coordinate multiple priorities.
- Problem-solving abilities paired with excellent judgment.
- Ability to train and answer questions from non-technical users.
- Understanding of and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based mission.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Director of Advancement Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This position will be based in the Washington, D.C. office once it is safe to return; remote work, from anywhere, is possible until then, though EST hours may be required.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based