Associate Director Alumni Engagement
Who we want:
Associate Director Alumni Engagement
ASU Foundation, one of five nonprofit entities that make up ASU Enterprise Partners, is seeking an Associate Director Alumni Engagement - Thunderbird who is a core member of the Thunderbird Alumni Engagement team. The Associate Director, Alumni Engagement Thunderbird School of Global Management reports to the Executive Director, Alumni Engagement and works with the Director General & Dean, the Chief Engagement Officer, and the larger Thunderbird Engagement team to build and deliver a comprehensive program of interaction and involvement with Thunderbird’s 45,000 graduates and 170 global chapters. As a liaison with alumni around the world, the Associate Director must possess excellent communications skills and be able to represent Thunderbird and Arizona State University with these key stakeholders. The Associate Director should be a creative and innovative thinker who enjoys the challenge of building and rebuilding relationships and working strategically through those alumni relationships to build multidimensional partnerships for Thunderbird.
What you’ll do:
- Identify and engage Thunderbird Alumni not currently connected to or engaged with the School
- Support the Director General & Dean’s goal of ‘visiting’ every Chapter globally by the end of 2021
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the Thunderbird Alumni Chapter network, identify inactive chapters and reengage chapters with the school, increasing the number of chapters that participate in school activities, such as the Alumni Referral Program, Alumni Fund for the Pub, Student/Alumni Mentoring program, Career Management referrals, the Annual Fund, etc.
- Focus on identifying, re-engaging and coordinating Thunderbird alumni within key companies, regions and industries, working closely with the Development team to refer alumni into the School’s ‘discovery process’ and coordinate with Thunderbird’s Annual Fund team in the development of the Dean’s Circle and Council of 75 activities (recognition and honors societies for our most esteemed and supportive alumni)
- Coordinate and work with the entire Thunderbird team and key volunteers to carry out an Alumni Chapter re-design project
- Work with the Director General and Dean, Chief Engagement Officer and the Executive Director along with the Thunderbird Global Alumni Network Advisory Council (alumni volunteers) to re-imagine the Thunderbird Chapter Network, significantly expanding the activities of the chapters and increasing engagement levels, aligning with the strategic priorities of the School
- Work with the Executive Director, Chief Engagement Officer and Branding and Communications team to support a review of current Thunderbird Alumni communications and the continuous refinement of the comprehensive communications strategy for Thunderbird’s global alumni community, including the Thunderbird Magazine, monthly alumni newsletter, T-bird Connect and other social media platforms
- Coordinate Alumni Spotlight Features across platforms as part of overall engagement with high profile alumni
- Provide reports to the Executive Director and team on alumni activities and work with the team to track and assemble annual engagement metrics, continually ensuring growth in overall alumni engagement and examination of the metrics to assure they are contemporary and comprehensive
- Directly support the Executive Director in the coordination of the Thunderbird Global Alumni Network Advisory Council, including developing membership rosters, coordinating and participating in regular agile team gatherings, and working with individual members and teams on projects
- Assist with identifying and coordinating alumni speakers for Thunderbird Globinars, Business Forums, classroom speakers and other events as needed
- Regularly update information on notable alumni, key alumni promotions and activities
- Plan and execute alumni events both on and off campus, including the T-bird Global Adventures Series and alumni professional development webinars
- Work with the team to build regular professional development conferences, alumni reunions, chapter events and assisting with the Thunderbird Global Alumni Network Advisory Board meetings
- Additional duties as needed
What you’ll need:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to alumni engagement within a higher education setting
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Thunderbird’s relationships, donor base, and finances and the Foundation and University’s business and confidential information
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by phone
- Evidence of having highly-developed emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish trust and effective communications with a wide array of stakeholders
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
- Professional experience in a higher education setting, including experience in alumni engagement, advancement and volunteer management
- Ability to represent the institution well
- An advocate’s belief in the vision of Thunderbird and ASU as the New American University
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans
- Ability to participate in activities that foster support for Thunderbird and ASU
- Ability to work hours necessary to complete tasks, including nights and weekends
- Flexible, collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a results-oriented, dynamic environment with complex and evolving relationships and priorities
- Highly organized and attentive to detail with ability to meet deadlines and complete projects
- Able to travel as required to meet with alumni, participate in events, and maintain relationships
- Experience working with a variety of applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Experience living and/or working outside the U.S.
- Experience in intercultural communications
- Fluency in a second language, a strong preference
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field AND at least five years of relevant experience in a higher education setting; OR, any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Who we are:
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American Research University creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access and impact.
ASU measures itself by those it includes and how they succeed, not by those it excludes. ASU pursues research that contributes to the public good and assumes major responsibility for the economic, social and cultural vitality of the communities that surround it.
In order to become that model for the New American University, ASU has undergone some radical changes over the last few years. Like many universities, it has added new buildings, hired new faculty and brought in new students. But, unlike many of its peers, ASU has also undertaken a massive reorganization of the institution. ASU has torn down walls between disciplines and encouraged collaboration among diverse units. ASU has altered the trajectory of the university and reevaluated the role that universities play in society, in the economy and in education at all levels. It has changed the relationship between ASU and the State of Arizona.
ASU Enterprise Partners supports the evolution, development and success of Arizona State University and its mission. ASU Enterprise Partners is uniquely positioned to bring solutions to help ASU fulfill its charter by connecting the university to human, financial, physical, and mission-driven resources. These resources are maximized within Enterprise Partners in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner through the design, development and management of specialized business units.
ASU Enterprise Partners serves as the resource-raising arm of Arizona State University. As the parent organization of five nonprofits that are each tasked with identifying new revenue opportunities, ASU Enterprise Partners represents a new, innovative and highly efficient model for diversified revenue generation. Through its nonprofits and business units, ASU Enterprise Partners invests in initiatives and partnership opportunities that provide resources to Arizona State University.
- ASU Foundation-Matches donors with their passions by raising and investing private contributions to ASU programs, faculty and students.
- University Realty LLC-cultivates and advances commercial and residential real estate projects to support ASU.
- Skysong Innovations-ASU Enterprise Partners’ technology transfer, creates a pipeline between ASU and Northern Arizona University inventions and the private sector.
- Realm Spark-a driving connector for EdTech innovation, investment, and integration at ASU. Realm Spark delivers resources and capabilities across the realms of teaching and learning to support ASU’s success as a Public Service Enterprise. Realm Spark serves to identify and foster the best solutions, partners, and technologies for the university. To facilitate innovation and drive positive financial outcomes, Realm Spark acquires and deploys capital from external sources, philanthropic partners, and internal investment pools.
- ASURE-Conducts applied research, operationalizes university solutions and consults for classified and midrange technology-readiness-level (TRL) services for the defense and security industry.
ASU Enterprise Partners employs a diverse team engaged in meaningful work, including fundraisers, designers, scholars, financial wizards, filmmakers, inventors, entrepreneurs and volunteers. Each member brings a different perspective to our vision, yet we share a mission to advance the most innovative university in the country.
Advance your career, too. Professional development is highly valued at ASU Enterprise Partners, where employees are encouraged to look across the organization and nurture new areas of interest. Roles often shift as passions are discovered.
Employees and eligible dependents enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan; and significant tuition reductions. More information is available about our benefits at: http://asuenterprisepartners.org/employeebenefits.
Learn more about us at https://asuenterprisepartners.org/.
Clarity of focus while juggling complex projects or deadlines.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. May be required to perform tasks in the field within and/or across University campuses. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions.
This position will require a tablet computer, desk telephone, foundation credit card, business cards and a mobile communication device ($60 monthly reimbursement).
Contact us today.
For more information on ASU Enterprise Partners, visit our web site at https://www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers/
If interested in the Associate Director Alumni Engagement - Thunderbird position, please apply online at www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers.
ASU Enterprise Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer