3 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Organization Summary: Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide crucial support for our Scholars so they can realize their full potential and ultimately give back to the city, the nation, and the world.
Position and Summary Reporting: Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operations Officer, the Senior Accountant will implement the infrastructure and systems needed to support strategic objectives. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of financial systems including finance, accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, financial reporting, etc. The Senior Accountant will be involved in a range of strategic planning and internal initiatives. The Senior Accountant will support the CFO who, along with the CEO, is the primary liaison to the board of directors' finance committee, working closely with the committee to strengthen Oliver Scholars’ financial position and other items as required. S/he will continually evaluate best industry practices in comparison to internal controls and systems and needed resources, with an eye toward both future needs and budget realities.
- Manage timely monthly financial reporting processes, including financial report generation, historical financial performance analysis, budget-to-actual variance analysis, journal entry review and general ledger management, account substantiation and reconciliations, managing audit fieldwork,
- Reconcile financial activities and skilled to capture key data and processes in order to demonstrate the relationship between Oliver Scholars’ goals and resulting fundraising needs.
- Support overall financial management responsibility led by the CFO including the review and approval of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the CEO and Board of
- Supervise the company’s annual financial audit, grant partner audit, and coordinate state tax filing with relevant authorities. Coordinate all audits and work with internal teams to meet operating
- Develop and supervise processes to ensure internal controls operate in a highly effective manner while continuously driving efficiencies and identifying way to reduce manual processes through automation across multiple operational areas such as payroll and time & expense processing, account payable and
- Support budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow and coordination of audit activities as well as accounts payable and
- Author, develop, refine, direct and maintain accounting policies, procedures, systems, memos and related positions, including accounting research of potential transactions and new business as well as the impact of new accounting
- Direct fund forecasts, expense budgets, and accounting
- Ensure timely, high-quality information provided to our internal teammates and external partners and contribute to various initiatives including system implementations, capital formation due diligence, capital budgeting and forecasting, operational initiatives, and other adhoc
- Bachelor's degree required, Accounting preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in accounting in the nonprofit sector
- Extensive knowledge of computer software (Fund-EZ and Microsoft Office Suite – excel and word, )
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the Board or other outside partners/influencers/clients
- Success seeing beyond the numbers, identifying trends and new
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, extremely collegial
- Outstanding communications skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment
- Connection to Oliver Scholars’ mission
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; willing to learn new techniques and procedures; Manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected
- Innovation & Initiative - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention; Looks for and takes advantages of
- Planning/Organizing & Project Management - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new
HOW TO APPLY: For consideration, please forward your cover letter and resume to jobs@Oliverscholars.org Please note, “Senior Accountant – [Your Last Name]” in the subject line of your email. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
COMPENSATION: Salary commensurate with
qualifications and experience.
A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success. Oliver Scholars is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, or current employment status.