4 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded in 1966 with the mission to support the preservation, improvement, and enhancement of the environment. With the support of our donors, LAF invests in research, scholarships, and leadership initiatives to increase the influence and impact of landscape architects, and through leadership and philanthropic activities, LAF advances the body of knowledge and supports innovative projects and initiatives to strengthen the discipline to take on defining issues like climate change and inequity.
LAF seeks a results-oriented Development Associate to join our dynamic and collaborative team. The Development Associate reports to the Director of Development and supports a variety of fundraising and stewardship functions to help secure the resources necessary for LAF to meet the needs of its mission, programs, and its ambitious growth plans. An integral part of a small organization, the Development Associate serves as part of an integrated team and provides input and support to LAF’s programs, events, outreach, and partnership initiatives, as well as operations.
The ideal candidate possesses strong technical and data management skills, is an effective written communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, and has demonstrated success in a fundraising role or an interest in fundraising and administrative experience gained at a nonprofit or membership organization. The ideal candidate will also have an affinity for LAF’s mission, sustainability, and the potential of a well-designed built environment to create a healthier, more equitable, and sustainable world.
This position offers a unique opportunity to learn and grow with the organization, demonstrate leadership skills, and help implement a comprehensive development program. The full-time position is located in Washington, D.C., and requires occasional travel within the U.S. However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all travel has been paused and LAF staff is currently working remotely but will return to the office when safely able to do so (with an anticipated return date in 2021).
Data Management, Reporting, and Analysis:
- Review, clean-up, and upload data files to maintain LAF’s donor and contact database and effectively manage and track donor cultivation activities and event and program participants
- Generate reports and manipulate data in Excel to provide analyses of donor giving trends, campaign/appeal results, and event metrics
- Provide reporting and analysis as needed to support data-driven strategies and decision making across the organization
- Identify and support opportunities for improved data management practices across the organization
Donor Relations, Communication, and Recognition:
- Establish best practices to ensure accurate and timely acknowledgment of all donations (by mail and/or email)
- Develop the ability to write in LAF’s voice to draft thoughtful and accurate donation acknowledgments and receipts, writing personalized acknowledgments for major donors
- Ensure donors are properly recognized across all channels (events, LAF’s website, on social media, etc.)
- Develop a working familiarity with key donors, including their general giving and engagement history
- Work closely with the Director of Development to identify ways to improve the efficiency, efficacy, and donor centricity of our work to increase donor support and retention
Direct Mail Appeals and E-appeals:
- Assist with semi-annual direct mail and quarterly digital
giving campaigns, including:
- drafting messages for both direct mail appeals and e-appeals, working with the Director of Development, communications staff, and (if applicable) any featured individuals to finalize the messages
- providing the data for agreed-upon segmentation of constituents
- executing mail merges and printing and assembling the components for the direct mail appeals
- Support activities related to LAF’s annual events, including:
- managing online registrations and serving as the primary event contact for registrants
- coordinating and communicating pertinent information to event volunteers and sponsors
- maintaining accurate guest lists
- supporting other pre-event and day-of activities
Leadership and Staff Support:
- Support the CEO in her development role by preparing her for meetings and gift requests with prospect briefs and call/meeting objectives and supporting appropriate follow-up
- Work with the Director of Development to support the fundraising responsibilities of the Board of Directors
- Identify, research, and qualify new prospects (individuals, organizations, and granting foundations)
- Effectively promote and represent LAF in all activities, inspiring support from a variety of donors, and practicing a strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for the confidentiality of donor information and resources
Special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Data entry and record-keeping experience
- Relationship management and a customer service mindset
- Superior organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, and ability to complete tasks in a systematic manner
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and established writing and editing skills including the ability to adjust your writing style to match the organization’s voice
- Strong technical skills, including demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (and exceptionally strong proficiency in Excel) and familiarity with mail merge functionality
- Experience with customer relationship management platforms (e.g. Salesforce), email marketing platforms (e.g. MailChimp), and event registration platforms (e.g. Eventbrite)
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as within a collaborative environment and with diverse internal and donor constituencies
- Flexibility and the ability to prioritize assignments to meet deadlines
- Ability to represent LAF professionally and positively at all times, bringing the highest quality service and professionalism to everything you do
Preferred Education and Experience
- 1-2 years of experience in philanthropy or donor relations and stewardship (or equivalent experience and exposure gained through administrative experience at a nonprofit or membership organization)
- A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred; equivalent experience will be considered
- Comfort and professionalism conversing with high-level donors/CEO of organizations
- Affinity for LAF’s mission
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary range is $50,000 - $55,000, commensurate with experience. LAF offers opportunities for growth based on employee performance. LAF provides a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, vacation/sick pay, and an employer-matching 401(k) program.
It is anticipated that this will start as a remote position, but the expectation is for all employees to be onsite in LAF’s office once we can do so safely. LAF’s office is located in downtown Washington, D.C., is easily accessible by multiple public transit options, and has an onsite fitness facility, secure bike parking, and additional amenities.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Associate position.” Please indicate how you found this opportunity. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
LAF is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Development Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly