7 days left
- Employment Type
- Part Time
The Shalem Institute is one of the leading centers for spiritual deepening in the US and globally. Since 1973, Shalem has fostered contemplative living and leadership through prayer, silence, retreats, online courses, pilgrimages and several long-term courses in spiritual deepening and leadership.
Overall context of the position:
Shalem is seeking a part-time Development Director to lead its fundraising and community-building efforts to continue to strengthen its stable financial base. With many donors who have been giving annually over many years and who also respond generously to short-term capital campaigns, Shalem has a reliable core community of support. And, with a focus on attracting new support from diverse sources, Shalem is preparing for robust engagement in the world of the 2020’s.
We are seeking a Development Director who can bridge these goals of sustaining the support we’ve already built and adding necessary new resources to take us forward. The work will require skilled management of the Annual Fund campaign (currently about $400,000), boosting planned giving, and increasing grant revenue from foundations. In addition, the Director will increase the ways to give by seizing the potential of social media and new technologies. All of this work will nurture a strong, cohesive, diverse community of support dedicated to Shalem’s mission and well-being.
General responsibilities of the position:
- Develop and execute Shalem’s annual fundraising plan
- Cultivate, develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Create and execute a strategy for building a large sustained base of annual donors giving online
- Sustain core support from long-term donors not giving online
- Oversee execution of annual fundraising event and specialized donor cultivation events
- Prepare strategic recommendations for Executive Director’s cultivation of major donors throughout the year, with emails, phone calls, personal invitations to events and programs
- Manage data entry and gift processing, gift acknowledgements, pledge renewals and other administrative tasks
- Research potential foundation grants, create applications, manage successful grants, including overseeing timely reporting
- Expand planned giving with increased visibility of options on website, identification of potential targets, personalized campaigns for increasing Shalem’s inclusion in wills, trusts, IRAs and insurance policies
- Create, in cooperation with the Director of Communications and Board of Directors, fundraising materials and reports (including the Annual Report), maximizing use of new technologies and social media for increased giving
- BA (required)
- Five-plus years experience in nonprofit development and fundraising
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Familiarity with contemplative practices preferred but not required
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, please describe what draws you to the Shalem Institute and this position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The anticipated start date for this position is June 7, 2021. Preference will be given to candidates from the greater Washington, DC area. Please do not inquire by telephone or e-mail. We will be in touch with qualified candidates.
Apply for Development Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly